Hello, I’ve just purchased the Quantaray 70-210mm f/4-5.6 Multi-Coated lens, with the Nikon N50 body. I have searching and looking at video on how to install the lens, but have yet to do so. I just wondering if the lens truly do fit this camera, and if it does how come it won’t stay attached to the body of the camera.

Quantaray is a third-party lens manufacturer, which makes lenses in various mounts, including the Nikon F mount, Canon FD, etc.

If your Quantaray lens cannot be easily mounted onto your Nikon N50 body, potentially you may have a lens in a different mount that is not compatible with Nikon. If you can take a picture of the rear end of the lens and post it here, it may help us determine what type of mount it has.

• Like 3

The only Quantaray lens I own - or have ever seen for that matter - is a re-badged Sigma. Sigma make lenses for almost every make of camera. So it's entirely possible that the lens is something other than Nikon-fit.

As Shun suggests; post a picture of the back end of the lens and we'll see if we can identify the fitting.

Quantaray themselves don't (didn't?) make any lenses, AFAIK. They just re-badge other makes.

• Like 1

Nikon NIKKOR 70-210mm f/4.0-5.6 D AF Lens 18208019816 | eBay

Random Ebay example with good pictures.

This is the Nikon 71~210 F4~F5.6 Autofocus zoom lens that will work with your camera. These originally sold for almost $300 when new, I bought one 30 years ago. Still works.

Check your lens against the rear mount of this one. The Nikon lens goes for pennies on the dollar. Return your lens, best to get one of these.

The only Quantaray lens I own - or have ever seen for that matter - is a re-badged Sigma. Sigma make lenses for almost every make of camera. So it's entirely possible that the lens is something other than Nikon-fit.

As Shun suggests; post a picture of the back end of the lens and we'll see if we can identify the fitting.

Quantaray themselves don't (didn't?) make any lenses, AFAIK. They just re-badge other makes.

Quantaray is a brand and not a company. It's a brand by Ritz Camera. As you said Sigma made a lot of them. I think Ritz did have lenses from other manufacturers too.

Maybe my best lens deal ever is a Nikon AI 80-200 zoom for $12 from Goodwill.

This is a push/pull zoom, so you push/pull to zoom, and turn to focus, with the same ring.

As for actually using, I have a Nikon AF D 24-120 for $75.

This isn't the latest one, but the one before.

Anyway, there are a lot of good lenses out for a low price. If you can return that one,

you should be able to find a good one that fits your camera.

• Like 1

-- glen

Maybe my best lens deal ever is a Nikon AI 80-200 zoom for $12 from Goodwill.

Indeed. The f/4 version is still a bit of a sleeper that can be snagged cheaply.

It shows a bit of LoCa on anything modern and digital, but film likes it! The only drawback is the weight.... and the lack of autofocus.

Indeed. The f/4 version is still a bit of a sleeper that can be snagged cheaply.

It shows a bit of LoCa on anything modern and digital, but film likes it! The only drawback is the weight.... and the lack of autofocus.

Part of it is the fun of using a push-pull zoom, as this is the only one I have. It seems to be a lost art by now.

Not heavier than some other zooms, but yes it is heavy.

-- glen

Part of it is the fun of using a push-pull zoom

That's fun!?

Not after the lens has had a bit of wear, and you want the zoom to stay put when you point the lens up or down.

I remember getting the early AF version of 70-210 zoom, which was a revamp of the Series-E trombone zoom. Even with the titchy manual focus ring positioned awkwardly at the front, it had better ergonomics than any trombone zoom I'd used.

I don't think Nikon have ever made a one-touch zoom after that.

That's fun!?

Not after the lens has had a bit of wear, and you want the zoom to stay put when you point the lens up or down.

I remember getting the early AF version of 70-210 zoom, which was a revamp of the Series-E trombone zoom. Even with the titchy manual focus ring positioned awkwardly at the front, it had better ergonomics than any trombone zoom I'd used.

I don't think Nikon have ever made a one-touch zoom after that.

Sometimes I am in the mood for doing photography for fun. Not that I really need the pictures, but just like playing with the equipment.

More often, those are the ones with film, and sometimes using older cameras and lenses.

And yes, it doesn't stay put when it is pointing up or down. Fortunately I don't take pictures in those directions so often.

-- glen