Quality of the Minolta 28-70AF 2.8 Lens

stephen_curran1

<p>Hi Stephen. The Minolta 28-70 is very high quality class, as you should find out on any search on here, but it

has some floors. The focus is slow and the front element rotates. However, if you want excellent colour and b

okeh (especially for a zoom) as well as great sharpness this is the lens for you. It may lag behind in corner/

edge sharpness at wider apertures, but most zooms of this type/era will. It will vignette quite a bit at wider apert

ures (especially at 28mm) from what I've heard too. Try posting on dyxum.com and you most likely get some hand

s on experience/advise (there are a lot of A900 users on there, few on here)

</p>

<p>The Sony 24-70 is designed for the A900 (and even higher resolution) sensor, so of course it's

going to perform a bit better in terms of sharpness/resolution & side/corner performance. You will also get higher

microcontrast with the Sony (its a ZA lens)

& cooler colours.</p>

<p>It's as much about the "look" you want IMO. If you want a paintery feel

to your images & don't need quick focus or full time MF - go for the Minolta. IF you want a window type sharpnes

s to your images &amp

I did not know that Sony made a 28-70mm/f2.8! I only know of the Carl Zeiss branded 24-70mm/f2.8 lens which is made only for the A mount.

Accoring to dyxum.com they are very similiar in quality:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=32

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=438

I would personally go for the 24-70mm if money is no object as it is a more useful range.

• 3 weeks later...