Quality control sticker?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by hiro, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Anyone recognize this sticker? Thanks.

2. Yes, it is a quality control sticker from the Japan Camera Inspection Institute. The JCII was set up by the Japanese government and camera industry to ensure the quality of camera equipment exported from Japan. I don't think they've put those stickers on cameras for several years now, and in the later years there were plenty of knock-off stickers floating around.

3. Yeah, what happened to them?
    Why did the companies stop putting them on?

4. They would need different stickers for the ones made in PRC, Thailand, etc. Too many quality/standard variations.

5. The JCII institute was created to repair the "cheap Japanese camera" image. It was no longer needed when their cameras became the standards everyone else was copying.

6. I always thought there was a definite 'Made in Japan' aspect to it, and as camera manufacture
    ceased to be done principally in Japan, the stickers couldn't put on.

7. Paul Nance, has the right answer.

After World War II Japanese products had a very poor reputation. In the late fifties I remember my father giving me a hammer, screwdriver and pliers for Christmas. I dented the hammer face with US made nails and as a child bent the pliers so the jaws no longer closed. At this time Nikon was already making fine quality rangefinder cameras.

Japan’s image at that time was much like China’s today and the potential mismatch was also the same. China is able to produce fine quality products as well as abysmal junk. The JCII Institute did force some companies to improve there optical products. Others sold toys, as toys without these stickers. Really useless toy binoculars were one of the latter products. The PASSED stickers did there job and Japan pinched much of Germany’s camera market.

“The Japan Camera Industry Institute; formerly the Japan Camera Inspection Institute. The JCII was founded in 1954 with the charter of enforcing strict quality control for all Japanese camera products exported overseas.

The JCII was thus the organization responsible for testing all Japanese camera exports and applying the once-familiar oval gold PASSED - JCII sticker onto all equipment which passed. This practice of applying the gold stickers, which helped cement the Japanese camera industry’s reputation for quality, seems to have stopped at some point in the late 1980s.” --PhotoNotes.org

Here’s a link some may find interesting...

http://www.jcii-cameramuseum.jp/top_e.html

In the sixties and seventies many though the PASSED stickers indicate that a camera had passed US Customs so the did not remove the stickers if they though they might travel outside the USA.

Best,

Dave Hartman.

8. Some of you may have heard this story before........

When I was 'coming up' as a photographer in the late 70's / early 80's, having the 'passed' sticker on your camera was considered the badge of a 'poser', somebody who never actually used their camera. It was the first thing to come off, part of putting the first roll of film through a camera.

I did 'a job' where I traveled with a bar band from NW Washington across the border into Canada, photographing their 'gig'. I was riding in their van back across the border (into the US) at 3:00 am. The agent (not sure if it was customs or border patrol) decided we looked unsavory (driver had a lock of purple hair) and detained us for a detailed search.

When he got to my camera bag, he said, "Your equipment doesn't have the 'passed' sticker on it. These were not bought in the US."

I blurted out the first thought in my (young, foolish) mind: "Surely you can't be that stupid!"

He impounded my gear. Talking with the supervisor did not help. He looked very uncomfortable about the whole mess, but he 'backed his guy'. They wanted me to return to the border with 'proof' that I had bought the gear in the US and not while we were in Canada.

I stewed about this for about an hour (while they tore the drums apart and stuff like that). I finally remembered I had itemized insurance paperwork under the 'floor' of the bag. I brought this to their attention (more 'raised eyebrows' about this 'hidden compartment') and they begrudgingly released the gear to me.

9. ky2

ky2

Stickers cost money. They were abandoned right after corporates stopped caring about customer service.

10. I think it's true to say that many modern lenses would fail the quality controls set up all those years ago.The temperature compensated plastic imitation cardboard stuck together with tape lenses are not what I would call quality!
    I am sure that an enterprising high volume camera manufacturer could make good use of the latter letters! Try NiCan 18-50 F4.5-F6.9 TCPICSTWT..plus the pre requisite AFS,IF,L,VR etc. Naturally the designation would have to be in a imitation gold leaf to fit the superior nature of the lens which would be available with either a gold ring or a red ring around the barrel.I'm not sure if the lens box should be lined with a genuine imitation red or blue velvet?