blake_abbott

Hello all...Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality

background stand? I've read some posts regarding some cheap ones and

don't want to go that route. I will be using the stand in location

(non-permanent) setups for a while and then in a studio space I am

putting together. I looked on B&H's website and found some that

would work (by description) but would like any recommedations from

actual users.

How imminent is the move to the studio? I ask as you may be looking for 2 different

setups. In the studio, I would suggest wall or ceiling mounting of the background support.

Anything you do to reduce the "bumpables" will pay off in the long run.

There are several background stands that work fine for location work. Savage and Bogen

make several models. Make sure that they are listed as Background stands, not light

stands. They will be significantly heavier and have a wider stance. The best thing to do is

visit a well stocked camera shop and actually inspect the items. This will give you a good

idea of the fit and finish of the items. Supplimental weights might also be a good idea as

backgrounds are supported at the 8-9ft height, whereas lights in softboxes may only be

4-5ft.

Best wishes

You could go wall or ceiling mount. If you want something movable, I know a lot of people who have the Bogen AutoPoles and are happy with them. Personally, if I wanted something moveable, I would buy two 40" C-Stands and get a few lengths of metal screw pipe. Drill holes in the pipe, and make it so you can screw lengths together for 52" or 107" paper rolls, and then slip the holes in the pipe over the tops of the stands. Or design something more complicated, like clamps to hold the pipe to the stand.