QR plates for 67 - Last word

ilkka

What is the best QR plate for the Pentax 67II?

The RRS plate is U-shaped and hugs the body contours preventing any

twist. Is it superior for example to the Kirk plate that is a flat

piece of metal but uses the second pin to match the hole in the

camera body, to prevent it from twisting? If the Kirk plate and pin

is snugly made it should also completely prevent any possibility for

twist. But does it?

The price is about the same. Ordering from Kirk is a lot easier than

from RRS. But I want the best plate.

I have the RRS plate and it's fine, no twisting, etc. I have a RRS angle plate on my DX1, which is great and has sold me on L/angle plates. RRS doesn't make one for the 67II, but Kirk does, which I've just ordered. It's expensive but worth looking into if you shoot on the vertical as well as the horizontal. When I get the plate from Kirk and try it out I'll post about it.

Unless they have changed the design the RRS U-shaped (actually more of a cradle) plate still has anti-twist locater pin. The cradle arms are, I suppose, for added stability. I bought mine shortly after it was introduced. To get it to perfectly seat on a 67II body I recall having to file down a slight bit in the cradle area . The body casting is slightly different than that of the former 67 body. I assumed the plate was designed with the older body in mind.

RRS claims that the same 67 plate fits both old and new (67II) bodies. Apparently some filing is required for an exact fit. Thanks.

I would still like to hear if someone can comment on the Kirk plate.

Has anybody used or seen both?

I have two; the RRS plate and the L Kirk plate (this is for the older 67 but I think it *should* apply to your situation as well. Ever since I got the L plate I have pretty much stopped using the RRS plate (and the wodden handle as well). I find I REALLY like being able to turn the camera on its side and yet still have the camera mounted over the tripod, not flipped onto one side. It's a LOT more expensive though.

I just found out from Kirk that a new L-plate designed specifically for the 67II will be available in a couple weeks. The one for the 6x7 will work on the 67II, but they informed me the new one will be much better. I'm looking forward to using it, as I love the L-plate on my D1x.

Ilkka,

I have Kirk plates for all my cameras and lens (all within the last year or two). They are of superb craftsmanship so I have no complaints. In addition, the Kirk staff is great to deal with (kevin in particular has helped me many times). They give good estimates when things are backordered and do not charge until they ship. Overall, great experiences. I've no experience with RRS, save that I find their old methods of sales to be, well, prehistoric, but then again, I enjoy being a bit of a caveman myself every now and then ;)

Cheers,

Tom

I have a Markins camera plate. This is not a U-shaped one like a RRS. The Markins is a hi-quality machined low-profile plate that includes an anti-pivotal pin. Very compact, once attached it feels like an integral part of the camera itself. I can't imagine how much better then that it can get! However, I'm curious to hear any user which experienced them both Markins & RSS.

Regards,

I have the old style and the new. The original RRS P67 plate was smaller (43mm L x 36mm W x about 10mm thick). Both plates have the anti-twist locator pin. It's designed so it does not cover the battery hatch door. The new plate is 23mm longer. That length allows for more freedom to position the body atop the Arca-Swiss head. Handy when balancing longer lenses or macro work.