Q-Top quick release system.

louis_webb

I am looking for a light quick release system for my g1228/giotto

mh1000,on which a Bronica Etrsi sits(largest lens 150+2times

teleconverter-with filter holder plus prism=6lb weight).Has anyone

with a similar set-up had experience with Ideesign`s Q-Top q-r?Their

website does not list max. weight capacity.

it is a great device. i think adorama has them on special. i am not sure about top weight, but remember that info was given in shutterbug's equipment round-up. there was also a standalone article in 'bug about the device. my guess would be about ten pounds, but you should email/call the co.

• 2 weeks later...
I am sure it will support your 6lbs. The biggest problem I see with the Q-top is the lack of camera specific plates. Which is a problem when using your camera in the portrait mode. Your camera will want to rotate forward on the mounting plate especially with the added length of a teleconverter and filter holder.

Hi Jarrod, It is impressive that it will hold your F5 with the 85mm lens but, it is removeable so it will unscrew with enough torque and as the distance of the weight from the center of the pivot point increases so does the amount of force trying to rotate the camera. And Louis with a 150mm lens a 2x teleconverter and a filter holder has a lot of leverage. Another factor although it is not a problem for the Bronica or your F5 is that many cameras have plastic bottoms with no metal frame to support them and the increased surface area of the camera specific plates adds a lot of support.

• 2 weeks later...
If anybody is still reading this thread,I got a Manfrotto 354(Bogen 3274 in Usa),a rectangular-shaped,low profile q-r adapter which is lighter,more positive/solid in its locking mechanism and much easier to use than the 'hex' system.A bargain at £25(40usd).Louis.

• 5 years later...
For anybody searching the net and this old posts for ideesign Q-TOP systems: There are some new old stock ideesign Q-TOP quick release systems left and maybe there will be new production run in some time. Have a look at www.pepd.de and follow the picture of the Q-TOP or "remnants & rarities". There is no better small quick release! Regards, Peter E.

Mr. Emmerich, if you wish to advertise on this site, please click on the "Advertise" link at the bottom of every page for information about whom to contact. Your spam posts are not welcome here (which should be perfectly clear since your previous account was deleted for that reason).

Mr. Dixon, I do not wish to advertise on this site and my posts are no spam posts. I do not sell this Q-top quick release systems as a dealer, I do not make money with them. I was looking myself for a long time for them and found by chance somebody who owns the rest of the old stock. Because this person has nothing to do with photography and knows nothing about the benefits of this system, I decided to spread the word, that there are some left. I know, there are people still searching for them.

If you call this spam, any post stating, there is something availlable at any special place is spam.

I did not know, why my account was deleted. Nobody told anything to me, nobody tried to contact me.

Regards, Peter E.

Peter,thankyou for the information regarding the Q-top availability.I have long since found a satisfactory system that suits my needs well but appreciate it that you have relayed this to forum members.I am inclined to agree that this is not spam Mr. Dixon and that if such a posting is against forum rules,then the person should be contacted and informed of such by the forum moderator.It did not appear that this happened previously in Mr Emmerich's case.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

<p >I am not sure if this will a problem for you but I just purchased a Q Top after seing it at a photographer on the trail. Looked good, easy to use but I have one problem now that I tried it: the top seems to have a small, very small, rotation from the base. I put my finger on the base and the quick release plate when I push the camera lens from the side there is clearly a very small rotation between the base and the plate. Both the base and the plate are very nicely attached to the tripod and camera, and there is no vertical movement at all. I tried with a second plate, I bought 2 additional plates, without the camera attached and with may bear hand I can feel the movement when I try to rotate the plate. </p>

<p >Rotation is small, like a degree or a fraction of the degree but a heavier camera moves easy. I have a Hasselblad and with a long focal lens, the camera moves slightly and easily left and right. With a sunshade on, the wind can easily move my camera during a multi-second exposure. I am not sure if I do anything wrong but it does not seam like a very good system for my setup. </p>

<p > </p>