Push 2 & cross process Provia?

Hi Kevin, E6-C41 needs at least one stop of over exposure, and unfortunately, you've just gone two stops backwards. If you can get more than a two stop push at the lab, go fo it. If you can re-shoot your material, or next time you are crossing, try setting the asa at 50 or 80, then asking for a 2/3rds push. this will keep the contrast down and make skin tones printable.

I think you'll end up with thin negs, zero shadow detail and poor prints. But I might

be wrong.

When I used to cross-process, I tended towards OVER-exposure and PULL-

processing.

In your situation, I would push 2 stops in E6 (with an initial clip-test), and then cross-

process in Photoshop.

So, then it IS technically possible?<br>

I guess I should mention my preferences for shooting work to be cross processed. I tend to prefer shooting the film, dead on, without any overexposure so the colors end up being denser and more lush. I know I set up the flash and the f-stop for a typical roll of 400 film. But I later came to my sences and figured out that settings I was using weren't appropriate for 100 speed film.<br>

Unfortunately, I can't do the shoot over again, because the situation was one of those very rare occasions where the model and the location aren't always available together like they were.

yeah, i totally understand about not being able to re-shoot. as before, you need at least a two stop push to make up for the lack of contrast you have exposed for. you can expect magenta shifts too, hopefully you can rescue some of it in photoshop. good luck man.

'Why cross-process? Whats the benefits?'

You end up with a contrasty print with funky colours. It was very popular a few years

back.

Kevin, whilst technically possible, I think a 2 stop push in C41 will not yield

acceptable negatives. The neg will be extremely thin (unless your subject was

dressed in white, on a white background, with high-key lighting).

Why not process in E6? At least you will save the image.

If you shoot Provia 100F at box speed, cross, and like the look, then a two stop push should be close to your "usual." Still, I'd make very sure your lab runs a sufficiently tight C41 line to handle a consistent 2 stop push. Juicing it with a extra 1/2 stop might give you some post-processing leeway to adjust things in PS.It depends on how accurate their development is, though.

Brian Markowitz , dec 09, 2003; 02:57 p.m.

"I have a question. Why cross-process? Whats the benefits?"

A few years ago someone had a the misfortune to have his film run through the wrong process. The resulting off-color intrigued him and he thought to try it on purpose. Thus a whole new technique was born: the deliberate distortion of color.

I shall abstain.

Kevin, I ment to also say that I agree with Elliot here, you wont get the cool cross look simply by pushing two. You will get something interesting, but instead, I would push two in E6 like Elliot recommends, and fool around in photoshop if you wish.

Heres my 2 pence worth...

You'll probably get something thats prints fine with the 2 stop push but the color

shifts wont match what

you'd get if its rated and processed normally.

<p>

I'm thinkin it'll go more magenta shift like Eric said, more specifically in the shadows

low-midtone ranges. At least thats what i used to get with the 2nd gen Provia 100

(Never had a chance to try the first one). Skintones should still have a yellow cast, but

not as dense i dont think.

<p>

Good Luck and look forward to seein the results