Purpose and utility of Monfrotto 678 folding base?

jyoungman

<p>What is the Monfrotto 678 folding base for? What's the benefit? How do you use it? Obviously you put it on the base of the monopod, but ... once you deploy it, what then?<br>

I guess it's more or less intended to convert your monopod into a tripod by replacing the original foot, but as far as I can see it converts your solid monopod into a spindly wobbly tripod. What am I missing?</p>

<p>I use something similar, once in a while, as a way to stick a speedlight in the corner of a room.<br /><br />Sometimes I'll also use it <em>without</em> the camera or lens mounted, just as a way to have the monopod up and near me while I shoot dismounted. Then I can just reach over, snap in, and shoot mounted (while I hand-steady the 'pod). That's a nice solution when I'm working in a situation where I don't have anything nearby to lean the thing on.</p>

<p>It is one of those things which looks like a good idea, but you tuck away after using it a couple of times. It won't contribute enough stability to a monopod to hold the camera steady, and is not reliable enough to hold a flash with your hands off the pole.</p>

<p>If you need a tripod, get a tripod. If you need a light stand, you can get a reliable one that goes up to 8' for about $50.</p>