PS the Wedding Photo of the Week: Special Edition 11/1/10

picturesque

<p>This week, to give everyone a break from posting their own images, I've posted one of my own wedding images from the wedding of one of our own Photo.net members. Victoria and Chris got married at a super private ceremony in July, at a private residence in Napa, just north of me. Victoria tells me the following image is one of their favorites, and she previously requested that I post one from their wedding for this Photoshop exercise. It has only had very basic white balance and sharpening, and is uncropped.</p>

<p>For those of you unfamiliar with "PS the POW", a neutral image is chosen for everyone to Photoshop 'their way'. So have fun! Victoria and Chris might really like your rendition.</p><div>00Xb1o-296617784.thumb.JPG.42ad30941bab478b4b18228d78b8a89c.JPG</div>

<p>First time I've done one of these. In Lightroom: Crop, add Recovery and a bit of Contrast. In PS: 1) Cleanup (twig near his foot bugged me, killed the hoses, one wrinkle/shadow in the dress). 2) Copied the layer, added blur, and masked it in on areas of her skin to soften the contrast in splotchy-sunlight, and to soften the sunburn a little bit. 3) High-pass layer in hard-light mode to boost details in his suit and her hair. 4) A bit of vibrance.</p>

<p> </p><div>00XbEw-296853584.jpg.d11e629cc8d0ade2f2d58448064dbf38.jpg</div>

<p>Here's my attempt! Cropped to 8x10, converted to B/W via PS action, tweaked to taste. Added a sorta reverse vignette, which I felt helps with the "old slightly faded photo" look. Overlayed grungy texture partly because I love the look it gives. Also it adds some life to the sky, which I couldn't do much with after my previous treatments. I masked the texture off of the b/g because I didn't want them to look grungy! Then I added a border that I thought suited my vision for the image, and voila!</p>

<p>Thanks to Nadine, Victoria and Chris for sharing!</p><div>00XbPW-297013584.jpg.4cd88f1e789d49cc47859bce6a326c3e.jpg</div>

<p>Wow! There are some really talented folks on this forum, yes?! First off, a HUGE thanks to Nadine for being our super-talented, kind, and fun-to-work-with photographer! We're forever indebted to you, and we're thrilled with all the shots you took, Nadine.<br>

Chris' favorite here is the 'stepping off the page' look by Danzel (cool!) and that was seconded by a couple of friends of ours. I (Victoria) have a hard time choosing because they are all so different, but I also really like the high contrast/color-processed grass by Alexander, the 'new sky' put in by Rodney (awesome), and the faded photo look by Blair. Great ideas everyone, you are all very creative and inspirational!</p>