Providing a copy of coverage to client?

studio1314

Hello,

My client has asked me to provide a copy of my business coverage to the vendor, but also a copy to himself. I raise an eyebrow! I do not have a problem providing this information to the venue directly, but I do not think this is necessary to provide to my client directly. I have never been asked by a client to provide them with a copy, so I am not sure if this is a good decision. Has anyone else provided a copy of coverage to their client?

In my experience, large entities like corporations and universities frequently ask for this. If you want the work, you'll probably have to provide it.

Perhaps I should clarify I'm a wedding photographer and my couple has asked me to provide them with a copy of my business insurance along with sending a copy to the venue. I'm going to check to see if there is a proof of insurance that I could provide rather than detailed information.

Perhaps I should clarify I'm a wedding photographer and my couple has asked me to provide them with a copy of my business insurance along with sending a copy to the venue. I'm going to check to see if there is a proof of insurance that I could provide rather than detailed information.

No idea where you work. I work in AUS. It is quite easy here to attain a "Certificate of Currency" which details the Insurance cover of a business. That statement is on the underwriter’s letterhead and primarily details:

> The Insured (e.g. “Studio 1314 Wedding Photography”)

> The expiry date of the policy

> The type of Insurance (e.g. the two most often required here are - Public Property Liability; Public Personal Injury Liability)

> The amount of cover (e.g. mine is $20,000,000.00, severally)

It would be an odds-on bet that such a document, maybe by a different name, would be available from all insurers of any standing.

Additionally, I wouldn’t (and don’t) flinch if asked to supply that document, I keep copies available now and I don’t do that much work where such is asked for: when we operated Wedding and Portrait Studios, we openly advertised that we were fully insured.

My guess is that when your Client asked for "copy of my business coverage" that they did not mean the 20 page document which constitutes all the ins and outs of your "Policy Document".

It would be smart business, when you get whatever the one page document is that summarizes your Insurance Cove, that you get several certified copies made of it; that way if ever asked again, your answer can be "sure thing - here is the document that you require" and give it to them, then and there.

WW

• 1 month later...

Why not supply it to the "paying" client? I'm sure they'd like to be sure they wont be liable for you in any way.

Documents like contracts, permits n insurance summaries are always on hand for anyone to see.

Thats business, no big deal.

Edited by paul ron
The more you say, the less people listen.

Some folks are more anal about paperwork than others. - I'm not familiar with your legal system, but guess if you weren't insured + broke, your client might end being liable for collateral damages caused by you? - Did they ask for a plain or even a certified copy? - Providing a plain one feels less hassle than showing the dipstick of a limo I'd rent out to me.

In doubt: Feel flattered by your client's request, they are obviously hiring your artist side and therefor mistrusting your business (or professional) side.

Generally I found that the first page of the insurance policy, called "Declaration Page" where I come from, but not always marked as such) is sufficient. All that is desired is a knowledge that you are insured and the insurance is both sufficient and valid so they or the venue don't assume the liability. If they question the veracity of the document they can always call the insurance company to verify... it only takes about 5 minutes.

I am a free-lance translator. Large clients (businesses and governments) frequently require a certificate of liability coverage (errors and omissions as well as personal liability). My insurance carrier provides me with one on request. It shows coverage categories, limits and period covered. The document is provided prompty and free of charge.