Provia 400X presentation and comparisons.

Hi everyone!

While Nikon and Canon are battling each other introducing one year lasting

digital crap, a lot of folks on this forum are still shooting film and enjoying

wonderful world of photography the way it should be.

A couple times I've read an opinion complaining that some photoneters are

shooting with new Provia 400X and never posting any images. Since I'm among

those who use this emulsion a lot, I've decided to respond to such critics.

Unfortunately, when I took my shots I?ve never thought to make any comparisons

or tests. But after reviewing my works I've found that I might have some

material to present on this forum and help some of you to understand this

emulsion better.

Before I post my images I'd like to make some notes.

*All images were scanned using Coolscan V in factory default setting except:

ICE - normal, DEE ? 10. No color management or another post processing applied.

*100% crops are made from 5600 x 3700 res.

*All images were taken handled, without tripod, at relatively slow shutter

speed, so that the sharpness cannot be justified.

*All images taken in aperture priority mode. The shutter speed is approximate,

indicated on the camera display (the actual shutter speed is stepless).

First three pics compare Kodak Elite 200 with Provia 400X<div>00N3Pv-39288784.thumb.jpg.ae964a1dc2b96f7afa80c586b7054923.jpg</div>

Thanks, Roman! No wonder you shoot so much 400X - it looks excellent.

Again, I'm not as impressed by Provia 100F as everybody else seems

to be. Those have the worse image structure of anything you posted.

Looks like 400X is lower contrast than 400F, and warmer in yellows,

whereas Elite 200 is warmer in magenta. Too bad the Elite 200 image

was not exactly one stop away from the 400X comparisons. Elite 200

like an excellent film also.

GREAT!! I always love the look of fujichrome. It seems that the 400F has more of a blue color. I shot 2 rolls a year ago, and haven't been able to find it cheep enough to get any more, so, I settle with Velvia 100F another fine film.

Looks great though. I don't think it needs any PS!

Thanks, guys! Your opinion is appreciated.

Bill, this is a wonderful job! Great skill! I would like to have something like that.

About Elite 200 vs 400X. It's not really noticeable after scanning, but on my light table the 400X at 1/125s looks a bit darker than Elite 200 at 1/50s. So, we can assume that the 400X is exactly one stop faster than Elite 200. Basically, it's a true 400 film.

And about color reproduction of those two films, I believe it's really personal. I've already complained on this forum that Elite lacks some blue/cyan tones. Apparently that the 400X is more film for me - it gives more "blues". And grain looks identical. But, oh boy, the 400X is almost twice price of Elite 200.

Bernard,

Neither is true. But I suggest that the 400F represents it the same way that what you can see at a heavy overcast day: slightly dull and miserable. Unfortunately, the Provia 400F, same as Provia 100F, tends to shift colors toward blue/magenta cast at overcast conditions. The 400X, despite it looks warmer, doesn't make any noticeable color shifting. But it looks brighter and lively than in reality. Also the 400X is very sensitive to warm filter. Even the usage of a light 81A filter might bump up the warmness quite a bit.

My opinion about this film as follow:

Pros: Very, very versatile - good for any conditions, with filter and without. Has good forgiveness to your exposure mistakes. Lively, warm, clean yet saturated colors. Holds the high contrast situation with pride. Scanned exceptional well. And this film is nothing but 400 version of Velvia 100F (this is my favorite film too).

Cons: Pricely. The grain is still looks disappointed. Fuji claims that the 400X has RMS 11, so has the Kodak 100VS. I had no opportunity to compare those films face to face, but it seems to me that the 400X is coarser. And for some taste it might not be saturated enough.

• 4 weeks later...
I used about 30 rolls of the 400X in Africa, it's got amazing latitude, saturation, there is some grain. I've got some great comparisons between Velvia 100 and the Provia 400X, sorry no time to post results. I think the Provia is a bit more fair, it's just a great slide film with massive latitude. I pulled it 1/3 stop. But I ended up with great shots from a slow moving vehicle where I never had a tripod, taking pics of moving animals mostly moving slow. Had tremendous results, the Velvia just wasn't really fast enough, though I got some amazing pictures in morning sun and just before nightfall with the Velvia 100 that you can't get with the Provia 400X.