alex_hawley

Another Newbie question. Now that I have these three beautiful

lens/shutter assemblies that I've cleaned and restored to working

order, I kind of want to keep them protected rather than rattle

around in the general clutter of the camera case. Neither do I want

to spend a small fortune on Circassian super select walnut cases

with chamois lining. Anyone have any simple and cheap suggestions

using common materials?

I use Domke (sp) wraps and then put all the lenses in a tupperware container tightly together. I also use front and rear lenscaps on all lenses. The wraps protect from scratches, and I use different colors so I can see which lens is which without unwrapping them.

Alex, it's a good idea to keep your lenses mounted in shutters and the shutters mounted on their respective lensboards at all times. Make certain that the front and rear lenscaps are in place to protect the glass. Use the 15 inch size Domke protective wraps to wrap the entire lens, shutter, and lensboard. They come in a variety of colors for easy identification. If there is the possibility that the lenses will be exposed to moisture, sand, or dust, place the wrapped lenses in protective plastic containers or ziploc bags in your camera bag.

I have a slightly different problem that I hope someone can help with; sorry to hijack your thread and all, but it seemed more efficient than starting a new one.

I keep Lee adapter rings on my lenses at all times as I find screwing on the adapters (particularly when it's cold) to be a real time waster, and a source of frustration. I am curious to know if anyone else has done this and whether or not you were able to locate a lens cap that fitted over the Lee adapter.

Mike

Add another vote for Domke wrap. I bought mine years ago from Calumet. As I recall, they marketed it as "Calumet Wrap" at the time. Domke wrap is a padded square with velcro on the corners. I wouldn't be without it. However, I have always used the smaller size (11x11). The small size holds my largest 4x5 lens, a 210 Symmar easily. I bought the medium size for the 8x10 lens because of the larger lensboard. I carry spare lenscaps in the case, one spare for each size cap. I haven't lost a cap in twenty years, but I would feel vulnerable without a spare.

Just the Domke wrap has been sufficient for carrying my lenses in Zone VI shoulder bags. The Rubbermaid holders sound like a good idea, especially if your hard case doesn't have dividers.

Now that you're an Official Large Format Photographer you need to get the Official Lens Wrap of the LFPL (Large Format Photographers League), which is the Domke wrap colored blue on the outside and red on the inside. If you want to be a renegade you can wrap your lenses in anything that's reasonbly soft and thick such as an old hiking sock, pieces cut from a blanket, bubble packing material, etc. etc. However, you can't post questions here any more unless you use the Domke wrap.

Alex, Domke Wraps use a type of hook and loop material (similar to Velcro) that does not shread. They are layered with a thin shock absorbing foam, and are lined with an excellent quality material that does not scratch the finish on shutters and lensboards. They are a good investment. I use the 19 inch size to wrap and protect my Toyo A cameras. See badgergraphic.com Look under large format-bags and cases-Domke.

I use wraps which I got at Calumet, and it appears they must be exactly the same as the Domke wraps. Does that qualify me to participate? :-)

I also have a larger such wrap which I use for the camera standards assembly (with one lens in place) of my Toho FC-45X. I once dropped the latter wrap on the ground---not with the camera in it---and I had an awful time cleaning it afterwards. I used a brush and vacuum cleaner and finally got all the dust out. That was the outside velcro like surface. The inside part which comes in contact with the camera is easy to clean. But in any case the moral of this story is that you shouldn't leave your (Domke) wraps out where they can fall in the dust.

Alex: Well, since you said "simple and cheap," I'll suggest one of those pine wooden boxes that gift bottles of wine come in. They are exactly the right size for the typical 4X5 lens boards, and with glued in spacers (slots) on the side, you can fit at least 4 mounted lenses in one box, more if you have small lenses. Good for car transport or storage, not a backpacking item, obviously. Slide the lid open and each is easy to get to. The lenses don't bump into each other, even if a lens cap comes off there will not be damage. Lenses fit with cable releases attached.

Alex,

I, too, use lens wraps from 11" to 18" for scratch and marr

protection. Calumet stocks them, as do most pro shops.

Mike Todd ran into a problem with lens caps fitting over the Lee

adapter ring. My solution for lens caps was to first standardize

adapters so that, whenever possible, the lens cap would fit. I

also wanted to have an opening large enough to minimize

vignetting, which can be bothersome when using large format

camera movements.

I finally compromised by fitting my 90mm, 150mm, and 210mm

lenses with Lee 77mm adapter rings. Calumet part #LE5077.

Use step-up rings as neccessary - but the fewer the better.

Finally, the solution to the front lens cap, once you have

standardized sizing, is to purchase a Nikon 77mm clip-on lens

cap. This will clip into the Lee 77mm adapter ring. I have tried

generic clip-on caps, and found that they weren't robust enough -

the design of the springs, and/or the tolerances of the clips, were

such that the generics kept falling off of the lens. Calumet's part

# for the 77mm Nikon lens cap is NT9700 - "Snap on Cap

F/80-200/2.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Another convenient way to protect lenses in their lensboards is to use the bubble-pack envelopes/sacks (the plastic that has air bubbles, but made into a sack with one unsealed side). Circuit boards and the like are often shipped in these bags. One advantage is no lint.

My favorite solution is to use a lens wrap (I prefer MC-Wraps for smaller lenses and Calumet for larger) and then keep them inside a small soft-sided cooler. I have a few of these coolers, I think most of them are from EMS, or some such, I keep my field lenses in one, portrait lenses in another, 4x5 film holders in another, and 5x7 in an Eddie Bauer Lunch box, which fits 6 5x7 film holders perfectly. They are cheap, and well padded. I wanted to buy the Gnass gear stuff, but they were quite a bit more than the coolers, and didn't fit my toyo/canham boards.