Protecting digital prints on photo paper

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I've been getting a bunch of prints done lately and block mounting them on MDF for friends. They love being able to have their pics "framed" in this fashion economical. The printing is from any of the standard digital print labs done onto photopaper.<br>

The problem I'm having is that when transporting for friend the prints get scratched very easily. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion for a way to coat these prints for protection. I've done some searches but I can only seem to find info on coating inkjet prints.<br>

I've tried a spray finish that I purchased from an artshop but not mad on the results and trying to avoid sprays. Any suggestions?<br>

I've gone through my old paint supplies and have tested out some varnishes on old prints just as a trial. Again, not very good results.<br>

I'm not really after anything archival or museum quality. These are just fun prints for friends. But any way to protect would be really helpful.<br>

Many thanks!<br>

Greg</p>

<p>Hi again,<br>

I just want to add to my question some interesting results I had with a product. All of the varnishes I tried were lousy, however I had one tin of a product that is "Brick Paver Sealer" which is not unlike a varnish of sorts. The principle is you paint it on the bricks and it soaks in and then the more coats you give the shinier it gets.<br>

I tried this because even after being stored for 7 years the drips down the side of the tin had not yellowed at all. And sure enough it actually worked very very well... not unlike the spray finish I mentioned... but without the spray. I know it seems VERY weird to use such a product but so far the results are great. Of course I have no idea what it will do over time so I'll be keeping an eye on my test prints for a while first.<br>

Cheers!<br>

Greg</p>

<p>What to you mean by "photopaper"? In my experience, prints on conventional photographic paper (wet process) are physically durable, although they may fade and be subject to water damage, fingerprints and cracking when handled. These attributes are due to the nature of gelatin - the main ingredient of the surface. I have prints that have been shuffled around for 50 years which do not appear shopworn.</p>

<p>Inkjet prints on "photopaper" are chemically much more durable than photographic prints, but easily scratched. This is because the image is on an extremely thin surface layer. This is by design, since absorbtion by the paper results in spreading of the ink and dull colors due to exposure of the paper fibers, hence is restricted by design. You might achieve better physical durability if the print were coated with an acrylic lacquer, laminated, or simply placed in a plastic sleeve. The long-term affect on the print is questionable.</p>

<p>Home prints on a dye-sub printer are a good compromise. The image layer is much thicker than that of an inkjet print, and comparable to that of a photographic print, on heavy paper. Most are laminated with a clear layer as the last step. As a result, dye-sub prints look and feel like photographic prints, yet are nearly waterproof and highly resistant to handling. Their life expectancy is on the order of 25 years - comparable to photographic prints (though much shorter than pigment-based inkjet prints or silver-based, black-and-white photographic prints).</p>

<p>Thanks for your response Edward. I guess by saying "photopaper" I am showing my ignorance. To me it feels like the old photopaper you would always get prints on in the old days. In this case it is labelled on the back as "Fujicolor Crystal Archive Paper". To me it seems to scratch very easily hence why I am looking for something to protect it with.<br>

Thanks again!<br>

Greg</p>

<p>Fuji Crystal Archive is indeed traditional photo paper that gets developed in chemical baths. Does it have a glossy finish? A glossy finish no mat type of paper is going to shoe scratches easier. Consider trying a satin, matt or other non-glossy surface and see if that works better for you.</p>