Pros and Newbies: Part 2

fotografz

<p>Nadine asked if I would start a new thread to continue the discussion as to how Pros and those less experienced can come together in ways beneficial to both ends of the experience spectrum.</p>

<p>Again, the goal of this is to exchange ideas with an equal voice ... so newbies can acquire first hand experience working in the real world of wedding photography with a mentor, while providing some sort value added service to the established pro.</p>

<p><em>(Please refrain for injecting discussions about payment. That is best determined by the pro and anyone wishing to work for the pro. Pros are best served to consult their CPA about legalities, and those starting out as freelancers are" free" to do as they wish ... i.e. take it or leave it. Only the new photographer can determine where they currently are, what they are willing to do to learn, and what payment threshold they are willing to accept).</em></p>

<p>I will kick it off by relating a meeting I had yesterday with my assistant and now often second shooter Noel Kelly. This was a prelude to the 2010 wedding season. I evaluated Noel's work done for me in 2009 and determined there was a few things I thought she was ready to work on. She also had some things she wanted to accomplish for 2010. In addition, I checked over her equipment and did a locked-down bench test to eliminate gear as the cause of any focusing or camera settings errors. Finally, we went over the signed weddings so far for 2010, and determined which would be as an assistant, and which would be as second shooter ... while determining which ones she may not be available for. </p>

<p>This meeting was of mutual benefit to both of us. Noel learns and improves her photography, and can apply what she learned to help improve my company's product. Win, win.</p>

<p>Noel brought two CF cards of images ... one done for a family portrait session on location, and one done of a baby session. We opened the files in LR3 and discussed how to overcome certain issues in a few images. Some solutions involved the actual shooting procedure, others involved new ideas in post processing ... something that is very difficult to do over the internet compared to one-on-one real time demonstrations ... not to mention actually shooting on location at a wedding. Thus the mutual value of establishing a mentor relationship.</p>

<p><strong>Now, the question is how do you get your foot in the door in the first place?</strong></p>

<p>Here are a few starting points that occurred to me when taking on a new assistant ... in this case Noel. Some of it became clearer as we developed a professional relationship, and for the pros out there some of it may be worth thinking about. Obviously this is very customized to me, but some of the principles are applicable to many established photographers with an open mind. In turn, newbies can ascertain what added value they may have to a more established photographer other than just working a wedding.</p>

<p>Noel is much younger than I am ... she is very much the in the target audience demographic. While I am highly experienced in most aspects of photography and consider myself young minded ... my history is different from hers and she thinks differently. I had an expert research guru once explain that difference to me with one sentence: "T<em>he Lincoln Assassination is to you, as the Kennedy assassination is to her." </em>Our experiential history shapes our mind-set and way of thinking, was the message. <em> </em></p>

<p><strong>How is this manifesting itself in terms of business?</strong></p>

<p>Noel consistently exposes me to the ever-changing landscape of communication ideas and ways to promote my business ... from egging me on to get onto facebook, to little promo ideas and presentation notions of more interest to current potential clients. Frankly, she in the thick of it, where I am more socially isolated on an everyday basis ... she is my first-hand, localized touchstone and conduit to the very people who buy wedding photography.</p>

<p>Not to be sexists in any way, but that <em><strong>she</strong></em> is a <strong><em>she</em></strong> is also of benefit to me. Noel brings a woman's POV to balance out mine. Being a young mother of two, she also does amazing kid photography when kids are present at a wedding ... kids connect with her immediately. Plus, she can sometimes go where I cannot ... like certain ethnic weddings where a man is not allowed in with the women. </p>

<p>That is just a few of the value added aspects that a less experienced shooter can bring to the party.</p>

<p>This is getting pretty long, so I'll stop ... further thoughts and ideas from others both newbie and pro? </p>

<p> </p>

<p>This is all fine but does your conversation ever include a definitive date when Noel will go out on her own? Does she have that kind of goal? Did you have her sign a non-compete agreement? Do these things ever come up?<br>

As a 2nd myself, when starting out that was always the, "elephant in the room" even though they never said it. As soon as I convinced photographers I had no aspirations of going on my own all kinds of doors opened up.</p>

<p>Marc, At this point you are proficient in your business. I'd love to work with you if a chance is thrown to me. I am quite not sure how far it is possible. I'll be happy if I can get hooked on to work as assistant to Noel.. By reading the thread looks like you guys are looping assisting each other. Then where is the question of newbie trying to get mentor like you..</p>

<p>Thanks, Marc and Nadine, for continuing this conversation. If you'll recall from the previous thread I connected with an established, successful local wedding photographer willing to mentor me. Someone did it for him when he was starting out and now he is, in essence, paying it forward. This individual knows that I have every intention of building my own successful wedding photography business and this has not dampered or compromised the relationship in any way. There is no insecurity on his part (the fact that we work in a very large market may have something to do with that). If one day I am fortunate enough to be in a position to mentor others I will do so without hesitation.<br>

For Sreehari - I connected with my mentor by doing something someone else on this board said is a strict no-no. I researched wedding photographers in the area who's style I liked, did some research on them, and essentially cold called them via email. Out of this I had quite a few get back to me and one, in particular, connected with me. Sometimes it's better not knowing the correct protocol in these matters because then you place no limitations on yourself. Good luck.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>RT - what's your story with regard to becoming a second shooter?</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>My status is most likely not typical of any up and coming 2nd shooter. Yes, I shot the occasional relative and friend's wedding every now and then but I never really had a desire to do this full time or on my own.</p>

<p>I did wedding video for 7 years before shooting stills and this networking helped as I knew a lot of photographers. But it still didn't make for easy inroads with these people. In fact it made it worse because they figured I was already in a wedding-related business before and would want to do so again. </p>

<p>So, about a year ago, I approached about a dozen photographers in the area explaining my desire to shoot. (No, I didn't want to be a spear carrier and haul gear for 10 years). I gave them access to a meager portfolio and for the most part, they just patted me on the head and sent me on my way. Finally, one guy who shoots solo said he would take me on but his bookings were down. I told him to start throwing in the e-shoot for free and I'll shoot the first 3 for free. And also... those three weddings for free as well. (I had an e-shoot portfolio to show him... most everyone does and if you don't I highly recommend you get one. Just find couples to shoot). </p>

<p>Simply put, I made him money because he would not have booked those weddings without the free e-session. This is what any aspiring 2nd needs to understand - you need to be able to pay for yourself AND line the pockets of the person that takes you on. It's a business and NOT some outlet for your creative ego to unleash itself until you're good enough to compete with the person that taught you.</p>

<p>After shooting for this guy and only after he was convinced I wouldn't be putting him out of business he started to refer me to other photographers. I work for a half dozen right now. Keep in mind they seldom have packages over $2500 so I don't make much. I'm mainly a "sub" when their regular 2nd shooters can't make it. Also, many of these people shoot alone so when they upsell a package that stipulates a 2nd photographer I get called. Occasionally one will throw some extra work my way like a cheap anniversary, sweet 16, corporate dinner party, rehearsal dinner, an e-session too far away... all things they don't want to fool with. Occasionally works finds me. These are usually bottom-feeder jobs I know these guys won't do but I still email them the details just so they know. The last thing I need is for one of them to see me doing somebody's wedding without them.</p>

<p>But again, I'm not representative of the typical 2nd-shooter wannabe that needs business or shooting mentoring. (Please don't read this as, "I'm so good I don't need it". Some of these guys are awesome and I learn something all the time). It's just that I did over 200 weddings before snapping a pic and was very comfortable with the environment and business side of things. (But I did shoot an entire wedding with a 20d AND also video when the photog didn't show :) ).</p>

<p>So... I have no desire to deal with haggling clients, bridezillas and their mothers, church hags on power trips, and shooting the chicken dance anymore. You guys have fun with that. :)</p>

<p>Marc points out some advantages to having an apprentice in the process and I agree with all his points. However, I'd like to add the following thoughts about the bottom-line business advantage of having an apprentice-based 2nd shooter to cover weddings. </p>

<p>The actual money value added by a 2nd shooter is typically marginal. I offer packages that include a 2nd shooter for an added cost but it's pretty rare that the clients will want to take on the added cost of paying for the extra camera. Granted there are some studios that offer two cameras routinely but they're still competing in a market that abounds with lone shooters. An extra camera can add depth of coverage to the event but how may extra images will be sold via reprint sales of the images shot by the apprentice.....in my experience it's only a handful here and there. My point is to be cautious about over-estimating your actual value to an established pro. BTW, RT most everyone in my market has offered the "free" engagement sessions for years. It's easier and typically less risky for an established pro to shoot the e sessions themselves rather than give the opportunity to an apprentice.</p>

<p>This past weekend I was asked by a former apprentice (who became one of my second photographers who is now a lead photographer) to travel to another state to help as her second photographer. I jumped at the chance! I won't do it a lot but she needed help with a wedding that was sporting 350 confirmed guests and a wedding party of 22.</p>

<p>I love this concept and idea of creating a network of photographers with like-minded styles and energy. <strong>The brides and grooms benefit greatly, imo. </strong> It makes the photography at a wedding "stronger", imo. That's an important factor.</p>

<p>The best thing that happened at this past weekends wedding was that I met the main photographer's new apprentice who introduced herself by complimenting the work on my website (the lead photographer asked her to look at it) and proudly stated <strong>she was benefiting from my work with the lead photographer because she was passing forward (paying forward) the photographic style and process she'd learned from working with me.</strong> And, at this point the apprentice (who was being paid with the opportunity to observe: which was her request) <strong>told me she'd do the same for someone else some day! </strong> I did not suggest or ask about this; she merely understood it was a Good Thing. She expressed gratitude.</p>

<p>This apprentice said she'd have been willing to pay for the opportunity and I believe her; I just smiled and told her to get to work ... then winked. She laughed.</p>

<p>Her first observation was in "seeing" that shooting a Senior Portrait session or Family Session outdoors in steady lighting situations was a world different than wedding photography where the exposures could be a huge range for consecutive shots and then exclaimed that it all had to be done Right Away without re-takes at a wedding: this was a surprise to her. </p>

<p>This "awareness" is worth gold for her <em>and now the learning can start.</em> I know the lead photographer will spend a Lot of Valuable time with her and some day she might have her own business and take on a fourth generation wedding photographer that will find Joy in wedding photography instead of seeing it as something else less satisfying to the heart. That's a Lovely Human Element that is often left out of the equation, imo.</p>

<p><strong>RT said:</strong> <em>"This is all fine but does your conversation ever include a definitive date when Noel will go out on her own? Does she have that kind of goal? Did you have her sign a non-compete agreement? ... "</em></p>

<p>Actually, this is a very good observation. Personally, when someone makes the decision to go solo it is their decision not mine, and I do not ask for a non-compete agreement. However, I will tell them if I really think they are not ready and why. However, there comes a time when you can't afford a more well developed and experienced talent for a certain percentage of your bookings anymore.</p>

<p>In Noels' case, she is a busy Mom and wife, has a kid's clothes company on the side, and also shoots newborns, family portraits and some senior work. As we all know, the actual shooting of a wedding is the tip of the iceberg ... so wether Noel wants to get into all that will be a decision she has to make ... or not.</p>

<p>In commercial advertising photography there are "professional" assistants ... they may be photographers doing fine art or other creative endeavors, and do not aspire to running a photo studio and deal with business and clients. And there are Tech assistants who do nothing other than run the digital aspects of a photo shoot.</p>

<p>Plus, perhaps unlike wedding photography, everyone and his sister doesn't believe they can be a successful professional commercial photographer, or they don't aspire to it anyway. This has more to do with the standards of who is buying the photography than it does who is shooting it.</p>

<p>I'd be less than honest if I didn't say that it would be great to have an assistant/second shooter that didn't want to start their own wedding photography studio. Not because of the competition, but because of not having to re-orient one over and over and over. Often, just as things click, the person leaves ... and you start all over.<br>

<em><br /></em></p>