Pros and Cons of photo sharing sites, social media, and dedicated websites

What are the pros and cons of using a photo sharing site (Flickr, 500px, et al.) versus putting photos on social media (FB, G+, et al.)?

How do these compare with using a dedicated website hosted at a photo specific site such as Photo Shelter, SmugMug, Image Shack,

Zenfolio, or others?

Are Instagram, Tumblr, or Pinterest useful for pros and serious enthusiasts?

How does a photo dot net gallery fit into the mix?

The options available are staggering. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences and helping me to make sense of it

all. :-)

<p>If you want to share with other photography enthusiasts. Flickr, 500px etc. If you want to get your work out there to the general public, FB and other social media can be effective.<br>

PN does not fit into the mix at all IMO. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>...helping me to make sense of it all. :-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>From my experience contributing to several digital imaging forums online at least 10 years there doesn't seem to be any way of making sense that points to any predictable outcome with anything that happens on the internet in general.</p>

<p>Any advice you get as you will in this thread is from other single user's experiences. Someone will say it worked them and their buddies but that's still not enough quantifiable data to indicate it'll work or happen to anyone else.</p>

<p>IMO participating socially or professionally on the internet is probably the worst game of "Blindman's Bluff" I've ever experienced, except everyone can see bits and pieces through the interface navigation but don't know for sure what's truly driving it or behind it easily getting false impressions from the engaging and clever navigation and interface design but never get to see how well it functions for a wide range of people.</p>

<p>And I don't think Google Analytics is telling the whole truth or whether if it's even capable, either.</p>

<p>The pros and cons are entirely relative to the <em>objective</em>. Are you looking to attract commercial clients? Sell fine art prints? Simply enjoy showing and talking about your work to a wider audience? <em>Which</em> audience ... fellow photographers, architecture enthusiasts? You get the idea. <br /><br />Your goal(s) will dictate which of those venues should see the most of your effort. It's certainly not an either-or sort of thing. But you only have so many hours in the day. What are your expectations and your purpose for increasing your presence online? That really will help to dictate the best targets for your effort. But I can't think of any strategy that would be limited to only one of the venues you mentioned. </p>

I agree with Matt's "not either or". I've found FB to be a very effective way to

publicize my photos. I used to post a link to an album on my website, but I

discovered that when friends "tag" someone in a photo it is an effective way to

reach people who have not already "liked" my FB page. Now I post most photos

to both my website and FB. It's double the work, but not onerous. If something

comes along with the same reach as FB I'll probably start posting there, too.

An online presence should support our objectives. I didn't list my own objectives because I wanted to keep the

discussion more general, e.g. "FB has been helpful to my portraiture business, but Tumblr hasn't."

The Internet landscape is changing continually. What worked two years ago might not work today. It sounds as though FB is the best place RIGHT NOW to gain exposure to a wider audience of potential clients, but it doesn't offer any client support such as the ability such as ordering prints. FB's notorious suddenly policy changes have been the source for much discussion, and I don't know whether it appeals to, say, gallery owners.

Google Plus, Reddit, Tumblr, and Pinterest are clearly smaller than Facebook, but are they worth a look as well? I have read that Tumblr and Reddit appeal to a younger audience, which could be significant for someone in the wedding business, for example.

Flickr, 500px, etc. seem more like networking hang outs. Post a photo and get messages like, "Wow! Great colors! Please check out my stuff!" Are these sites useful for expanding a potential client base?

<p>As a serious photographer in the past, but not so much now, I find it a pretty deplorable situation for those who want to sell but have almost no recourse to sue anyone when it comes to being ripped off online. Protection of your creations is to all extent and purpose practically beyond hope for the average Joe. The main culprits are the social forums and photo sites like Flickr etc which are nothing but image catalogs. You put your work up and it becomes searchable royalty free content. Even now the abilities to overcome watermarks and strip meta data is becoming of grave concern to many in the trade. If your a wedding photographer it may not be a big deal; Your looking for brides looking for a photographer. But if you looking to sell commercial work your probably best off approaching buyers with direct promotion. If you want to sell framed prints it will be you and everyone else with a digital camera and in retirement. Shows are now populated by as many photographers as painters and the photographers are working harder then ever to make a buck, and I mean just a buck. So it really comes down to what your looking to do. Sharing is one thing; Making money is another, advertising oneself is another thing altogether.</p>

I think my images look fine on FB. For my own business FB has been great and it's a fun, interactive way to show off my

work. I have over 10,000 people following my work so I have got to the point where it brings in business from places I

wasn't expecting. YMMV obviously.