props

ana_smith1

<p>Ana,<br>

There several approaches to props and they are all correct, it's up to you. First of all, if the client supplies their own props ( you should see what my clients bring in ! ) then the images are possibly more personal to them. Buying from some of the places such as Denny's is fine if you need something immediately, but it seems that in my area, if one photographer gets a prop, then all the other photographers seem to feel they need that same prop. I swear, one of these days I am going to find the most hideous prop imaginable, use it and make a 24 x 30 for my display window and then sit back and see just how long it take the other photographers in my area to copy it ! Most of the props I use have come from antique stores, flea markets, estate sales, or yard sales. I have a couple of colleagues out of my market area and we sometimes trade props. That way what I use is something you can't get at the other studios in my area. Also remember that today's hottest prop will be useless a year from now, think wide ties ! Best of luck, whichever road you choose.<br>

Warmest regards,<br>

David R. Lewis</p>

<p>Ana,<br>

There several approaches to props and they are all correct, it's up to you. First of all, if the client supplies their own props ( you should see what my clients bring in ! ) then the images are possibly more personal to them. Buying from some of the places such as Denny's is fine if you need something immediately, but it seems that in my area, if one photographer gets a prop, then all the other photographers seem to feel they need that same prop. I swear, one of these days I am going to find the most hideous prop imaginable, use it and make a 24 x 30 for my display window and then sit back and see just how long it take the other photographers in my area to copy it ! Most of the props I use have come from antique stores, flea markets, estate sales, or yard sales. I have a couple of colleagues out of my market area and we sometimes trade props. That way what I use is something you can't get at the other studios in my area. Also remember that today's hottest prop will be useless a year from now, think wide ties ! Best of luck, whichever road you choose.<br>

Warmest regards,<br>

David R. Lewis</p>

• 1 month later...