"Proper" use of Bogen Background Support Model 314

raymond_ocampo

Hi. Sorry for a silly or obvious question (specifically for the Bogen Background Support System Model 314/314B),

but here goes. What's the proper way of using the horizontal bar? When I first tried using it, I couldn't

insert this bar thru the paper roll (like you would use a the toilet paper holder. Great analogy, huh?)

The ends of the horizontal bar was just too big to fit thru the roll. I thought those ends of the bar could be

removed because I can see it can rotate freely. But I can't figure out and see any release button to press.

There are small allen screws, but I don't think this is meant to be removed at all.

The minimalist instructions were no help. As a result, I just simply slump the roll of paper from the floor and

onto the horizontal bar then down the other end of the floor which makes it a waste because I have to unroll

twice the length of needed paper and then roll it back again (creating creases for my next shoot).

Any help on how to insert the bar to the paper roll so I can simply hand the roll rather than lay it on the ground.

Thanks in advance.<div>00RZ2E-90725584.jpg.4a44eb4e1fe3f50f094a25edaf1cb2c6.jpg</div>

This bar is designed for use with cloth backgrounds which have a wide loop sewn into one edge. You might be able to screw in the clamp and turn the clamp handle lengthwise (like you do if you store it in the original tube. However, the 314 is very light duty and probably not suitable for an heavy paper roll. Most people use a piece of 3/4" schedule 80 water pipe, which is supported by brackets on a wall.

Hi, Tom. You're referring to those small Hex screws, right? I was thinking of doing that, but the inconvenience of setting up and changing rolls for a different background will eventually cause the misplacement of the tiny screws. I guess it's not meant to be used with a paper roll(?) I'm surprised Bogen/Manfrotto hasn't re-thought this design aspect to allow easy removal.