Proper Posing for a heavier couple

helynnospina

Hi Everyone,

I am taking some engagement photos for a friend. Both the bride and groom are

a little heavier. I was hoping to get some tips on how to make them look their

best. I did a search but nothing came up. Not sure if the search function is

acting up or what. Thanks in advance.

I treat them like anyone else. My take at it is that they are happy with the way they are so why should i treat them any different? If they are not happy with themselves then sometimes a photo can be the best motivation to bring about change. That's not for me to decide with the way i shoot.

I think it is fairly easy to pose them so you are not calling undue attention to say upper arms on the woman or belly on the guy.

Full length poses tend to make everyone look heavier. Seating them and shooting down either from a ladder or someplace in the environment will also help to minamize bulk.

I try to take some clues from the couple usually people are at ease in certain poses, they feel comfortable leaning or they don't like to sit what ever they do naturally just tweak a bit to emphasise the best features.

You can;t go wrong with great expresions! It seems counter intuative but profiles or almost profiles do make for a slimmer look and also draw the viewer into the image rather than a dead on look that will make any one more square.

The couple I shot last weekend were both on the bigger size but by using some architecture and changing vantage points I was able to give them a sense of elegence and proportion. It makes sense to take some time on the posing and really be critical as you look through the viewfinder If you think they look big try something else.

Brooke

I agree with Jammey.. I'm a "heavy" girl myself and dont want to feel like I am being hidden in a picture or anything. Unless they ask you to try to play down their weight by different poses, then I would just treat them the same. They may just look their best rocking out a pose that many photographers dont even try on heavy people because they are too worried about it.

Some suggestions:

1. Photograph from a higher angle. The slight distortion makes their bodies look smaller.

2. Make sure that their bodies are at an angle to you; don't shoot them straight on.

3. If possible, have them dress in solid, dark colors like black or deep gray. That emphasizes the faces and diminshes the bodies.

4. Avoid full body poses and go for poses that include only their upper bodies.

5. If you must shoot full lengths, have them stand slightly apart and lean into one another, shooting from a slightly high elevation. This avoids a large mass of bodies and the slight distortion also helps to diminish the bodies.

6. If one is thinner or smaller, put that person in front.

Brook, Amy, Marv all make good suggestions. I usually hear about the weight issue when doing portrait work. I try to make them feel comfortable, because if they do, the photo will undoubtably be much better.

Being nice and fun is half the job and I work for the client, the client does not work for me. So, it is my job to assist them to put their best foot forward. I will make adjustments with every client I shoot to accomodate everything from wrinkles to weight.

Here is a portrait I did and got the job because the previous photographer was not sensitive and did not follow Marv's suggestions.<div>00NFjp-39676984.jpg.1d1508c391355cf8a84751be76637e5b.jpg</div>

Lok up Hanson Fong he is the master at making people look their best. he has videos aslo. I have taken two of his classes. He will usually sacrifice the groom making the bride look the best. Having the bride a couple of steps back from the grooms position in a pose and turned to the side of course will make her look smaller. If she has big arms crop them out tight in the shot. Keep arms off the hips to create curve. Do the behind brides back to grooms chest pose, shoot from the side a little behind the groom in tight, then reverse hiding the bride behind the groom with a tight face shot. Then is PS squeeze the image a little horizontally or go full out with the liquify filter .

Helynn,

The only thing that really helps is dark clothes, telephoto lenses (100mm+) and shotting from higher angle. Dark clothes will help with body shape, photo lens will get you better angel of view and higher angle helps with double chins. If you can avoid sleeveless shirts and stripes on clothes you are doing good. You can suggest it to your customer. Most people know they are heavy and I never had a problem to talk about it.

Good luck.

Re Posing:

Agree with points 1 to 6 of Marv Stasak and The all the poses described by Steve Dohring.

I also agree that, generally in posing a couple one would sacrifice the size of the man to ensure the comparative smaller size of the female.

Some additional points for consideration (Re Marv`s list):

1a) Avoid the wider lenses.

2a) Bodies at an angle, but be careful of the female`s arms, if exposed, use the male to crop them.

3a) Avoid garments with horizontal stripes or bands.

3b) Avoid tight armed garments.

4a) Slightly longer lenses (than you normally use) will give a tighter perspective for Head and Shoulders portraits.

5a) Full length shots can be assisted with props in front of the subject, eg subjects standing behind and leaning slightly in on a park bench, for a location shot. Standing behind the bonnet of a car, piano etc, and using the light and reflection to enhance.

WW

Find the book "Body Parts" and also montezucker.com for tutorials, its an art, and can be done VERy well.

In General, use the arms at the side to slice 6in off each side of the body, shoot from slightly higher, they will look up towards you stretching their chin up. (use a small stool) Never shoot straight on, angle their bodies and have them close together so they look slimmer ie; one a shoulder's width in front of the other. J