Proper Dress Attire

michaelsmiller

<p>I am shooting my first wedding for some friends next weekend and I was just curious as to what is the standard attire for photographers shooting weddings. I don't feel comfortable shooting in a suit. Is it acceptable to just wear dress pants and a dress shirt? Do I need to wear a tie?<br>

I know this is probably personal preference but I just wanted to hear some opinions from others...<br>

Thanks<br>

Miller</p>

If it's an outside backyard style wedding wear all black. If's it's more formal, wear cloths according to what the guests would wear. If you under dress you will give the impression that you may not be a very good photographer, therefore dress the part; be professional. Evening gigs I always wear a black suit, if it's very formal, I have no problems wearing a tux. The key to your question is - fit in.

If the bridal party is dressed up in tuxes you will feel out of place wearing everyday types of clothing as you described.

"The idea is to blend in, to be invisible,"

Blending in is fine, I may have a problem with invisible! If someone whats to be photographed, but they can't find you hidden in a dark reception hall, may be a minor problem. By the way what drugs do you take to become invisible...hehe - I'd love to be invsible to those nagging mother-in-laws!

<p>Thanks for the ideas guys. I asked the question because I didn't want to search for hours trying to find a single thread on a simple question. I will most likely wear a shirt and tie with dress pants, just wanted to find out what most of you do when you shoot weddings. I am doing the wedding as a favor for the couple. Thanks again for the help!</p>

<p>"Stage Black" is our dress code for all weddings. IMO, we are not guests and we are not waiters, and most certainly not in the wedding party. Black dress pants, dress black shirt, comfortable black shoes. Ninjas with a camera.</p>

<p>"Invisible" has never been a problem, we are the ones the couple met with before the wedding and the ones standing up front during the procession taking pictures. They find you when they want you, but don't see you when you don't want them to know you are there. </p>

<p>I personally have never worn a jacket and tie ... even to black tie weddings ... hundreds of weddings without one single comment, raised eyebrow, or complaint. We lay on the floor, and climb up into dusty places to get the shots, so a lint roller in the vehicle is our only fashion accessory : -)</p>

<p>Just my opinion. Wear what ever makes you feel is "correct" and not self conscience. </p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"I asked the question because I didn't want to search for hours trying to find a single thread on a simple question......."</em><br>

<em></em><br>

This search where I typed in "wedding attire" in the little search box located at the top right corner of this page took me less than 10 seconds: <a href="http://www.photo.net/search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&section=all&q=wedding+attire&filter=0&sa.x=12&sa.y=7#1716">http://www.photo.net/search/?cx=000753226439295166877%3A0gyn0h9z85o&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&section=all&q=wedding+attire&filter=0&sa.x=12&sa.y=7#1716</a></p>

<p>Almost every wedding I've done has been in NYC or one of the nearby upscale communities. I can only recall one wedding where I did not wear a tuxedo, and that was an informal picnic reception where the bride and groom specifically asked us to wear casual clothes.</p>

<p><em>I don't feel comfortable shooting in a suit. </em> I don't mean to sound judgmental, but if you want to do upscale weddings, corporate portraiture, and the like, get used to it. The very first pro basketball game I ever shot (at Madison Square garden in Manhattan) I was between shooters from the NY Times and NY Post. I was in a polo shirt and chinos. The guy from the Post was in jeans and a casual top. The guy from the Times was in a tie & jacket.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /> <strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Henry, I think it has a great deal to do with what type of shooter you are. I'm mostly photojournalistic, and people hire me to "not be there" so to speak. Laying on the floor or kneeling in the dirt isn't Tux or even a nice suit and tie territory IMO.</p>

<p>So, I dress to get the shots my clients expect. And yes, I do high end weddings and corporate functions including New Year's Eve Black tie events and Champagne events in urban settings.</p>

<p>Different strokes for different folks. </p>

<p><em>"I was between shooters from the NY Times and NY Post. I was in a polo shirt and chinos. The guy from the Post was in jeans and a casual top. The guy from the Times was in a tie & jacket....." Henry Posner</em><br>

<em></em><br>

I think Henry's point was "different strokes for different folks". IMO, the central point is that you dress for your clientèle and the image of your studio.....you can be perceived like the guy from the <em>Post</em> or the <em>Times.</em> You can dress like a guest or a member of the wedding party and you can dress like a guy with a camera or a professional photographer....different strokes for different folks.</p>

<p>I always dress professionally, yet in something that I am able to move around in...because lets face it, you aren't there to look good, but if you look bad it does reflect on you.<br>

When I got married, my photographer wore the worst outfit, khaki pants and a golf shirt.....and SHE looked horrible. And I noticed. And now, whenever I shoot weddings I always make sure to look not only professional, but good!!<br>

:)</p>

<p ><strong><em>"[let’s] face it, you aren't there to look good, but if you look bad it does reflect on you"</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Now that is the epitome of an oxymor0n . . .</p>

<p > </p>

<p >*** </p>

<p ><br /><strong><em>"When I got married, my photographer wore the worst outfit, khaki pants and a golf shirt.....and SHE looked horrible."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Yes. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >And noticing, is not just the purview of the femme: </p>

<p > </p>

<p >People notice – and one never knows who is noticing or how important they might be to one’s business – a case in point: above.<em><strong> </strong></em></p>

<p > <br>

WW</p>