Project 'My first Leica M' is well underway.

terry_rory

With the encouraging words of Eric~ this morning ("Just get on with it

Trev" or something like that) I have now secured a Leica M6 0.72

Black, brand new, boxed, with blank (and still valid) 2 year UK passport.

It will cost 1000 GBP exactly and is taken off the dealers listings

and reserved for me until I gat paid on Friday. It will be sent

overnight and arrive Saturday a.m.

I have also secured from another trusted UK dealer a 50mm f/2

Summicron M in black which is optically perfect and described as E++

cosmetically. This is 349 GBP.

So a brand new black M6 TTL 0.72 + matching black 50mm Summicron M to

look forward to on Saturday morning all being well. I can't wait.

Christmas all over again.

(And 150 GBP under my 'budget' which is nice.)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A review of a bog standard piece of equipment?

Trevor, I'm sure you'll enjoy the rangefinder for a while, but in the end I think you'll find that SLR's are more suited to your type of photography.

Now you just need the right bag, shoes and hat to go with it - email me for the lowdown ;-)

Cheers,

Rob.

Alas I have the right bag already (for years)

A black (with black leather and silver nickel trim) Billingham hadley.

My shoes will remain the same. Doc Martens.

I dont yet have the black leather jacket/black jeans/black polo neck sweater though :-)

Well I can't fault the bag - I have the khaki one and it's simply the best photobag on the market. Been keeping my cameras dry and safe in all conditions for six years now. I did have the black one, but it was just a little too smart for me.

"but in the end I think you'll find that SLR's are more suited to your type of photography."

Which is why I will be getting the D200 to replace my D70 late this year along with another lens or two. Specifically the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM. In fact, there is almost enough to get the Sigma now but I want to wait until Sigma have tweaked the firmware on their EX DC HSM lenses to work with the rear AF button on the D200 before I buy it. They currently only work with the shutter AF on the D200 but are working out a fix now.

The D200 will have dropped significantly in price by late in the year and any lurking bugs will have been discivered and shot. The D70 is still a good camera I can wait.

I really needed to prioritise sorting out my film (B&W) photography and simplifying it from the mish-mash of equipment I currently have to one good setup. This will be it.

Yes I changed my mind from 35mm Summicron to 50mm Summicron based partly on the fact that a good used 35mm goes for around 700-900 GBP (as opposed to 350 - 550 GBP for a good used 50mm depending on generation) and partly because 35mm is too wide (for what I want to do) on far more occasions than 50mm is too narrow. If you get what I mean. It enabled me to spend a little more on ensuring I got an M6 that did not need a CLA and still has a 2 year passport.

This is the lens. Wetzlar. Not that it matters.<div>00EnFG-27413484.jpg.337d6fe84a48086fcdfc5ef0a814455f.jpg</div>

I will be spending odd moments at work this week leafing through my old copy of the.. "How revolutionary should your camera be?" M6 TTL brochure that I have had for years and reading the M6 instructions I printed off last week.

Am I beginning to be a fondler before the b****y thing has even arrived?

(Now where is that Luigi website?)

Did your lens come with the hood? You really need it for protection from flare, as well as to protect the front element. Perhaps a UV filter too. There's some debate about the latter, but if there is a hood in front of the UV filter, I wouldn't be too concerned about filter-induced flare.

As you know, Leica M front elements don't have as much structure around them, say as your Zeiss Planar for the Contax, so a lens hood is really important.

I know I am preaching to the choir here. Just a friendly reminder.

I am getting a new B+W MRC UV 010 39mm filter and looking for the lens hood (metal or plastic) as well.

Paul asked "how on earth did you find a NEW M6?"

A solid week of research on the web over Christmas/new year and a bit of luck.

I had found a brand new silver M6 TTL 0.58 (with blank UK passport) for 1199 GBP as well, but now I am going for the 50mm Summicron rather than 35mm I decided to go for the brand new 0.72 M6 TTL (for 199 GBP less) instead.