Progress Report - 2/15

G-P

781942357_ScreenShot2017-02-20at2_49_19PM.thumb.png.eb7e79bad5c55211d43c5b1fc3e344d4.png Quick Update on 2/15 almost midnight EST.

1. Speed throughout the site should be improving steadily as more servers are brought on to handle increasing traffic and load. All search engines are re-crawling the site so that does tend to spike load when that occurs, but again, shouldn't be an issue as more hardware is brought online.
  2. Hidden Folders - we have a v1 solution released in your Member Center called "My Library" (see attached) - it will get some additional polish in the coming days/weeks but it tested functional and we wanted to get something out sooner than later.
  3. Tracking Comments is in QA now hope to release something on that within the next 24-48 hours - Update Check in "MyProfile" and "Your Activity" (see above for screenshot)
  4. Log In/ Log Out - should also have seen some improvements. Some of you may have expectations of staying logged in forever, but our Dev crew says that is not recommended, but instead use the browser function auto fill found in most modern day browsers.
  5. Member Center - speed, galleries, sorting are all on the table. They have not been able to get to this one yet, we know how important it is, but we had to focus on a few but this is coming soon.

Our dev crew have been working very hard pre-release and post release. Any and all positive comments are appreciated, meaningful critique is also appreciated - they are working hard for the community so if you have to take out your frustrations on anyone, take them out on me.

Lastly I would like to thank Leslie Reid for working on "how to" manuals as well as Jeff, Shun, William plus the other moderators in our community to keep this moving forward. I'd also like to thank everyone that has helped report bugs they notice in Leslie's thread. We are watching those threads closely and adding to our board internally to replicate and verify they are bugs to track. All bugs are important, but we have to prioritize as best we can but we will get to them.

PS. BTW - The *&^% Rich Text Editor is very on our list as well too trust me.

538765887_ScreenShot2017-02-15at11_58_20PM.thumb.png.a7526c9e8efdfa04ed3bed39c3cbb3b8.png

Edited by G-P
  • Like 2

As one of the crabbiest, I recognize that problems are being acknowledged, and progress is being made. Still remain some crabby because the existence of these problems is a reflection of lack of planning and execution. (eg. "My Library" should have been available from the beginning.) Gaining some hope, mellowing a bit, and add my thanks to user Leslie Reid for stepping up to the plate in assembling the self-help threads.

It is great to see the administration gearing up in doing what is necessary in making this site our sanctuary as it was before. The periodic updates are highly appreciated and it shows a sense of responsibility and transparency, which I think would pacify many members.

<br><br>

Keep up the good work, and don't lose the steam!

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, Glenn - visibility is definitely a good thing.<br />

<br />

<blockquote>

Some of you may have expectations of staying logged in forever, but our Dev crew says that is not recommended, but instead use the browser function auto fill found in most modern day browsers</blockquote>

<br />

I respect the dev team's opinion, but frankly, like hell. The browser auto-fill function is a massive security risk in general, and I have no intention of turning it on in any of my browsers. If this means I have to log in repeatedly, so be it - but I'd like to know why the dev team think being logged in permanently is a problem (when it never was for the previous site). I've no issue with there being a check-box on the log-in screen to ask whether you're on a private computer, and send you a permanent or expiring cookie accordingly - that's how many other sites do it. This absolutely isn't top of my priority list for fixes, but I'm not terribly happy if this goes into the "won't fix" bin rather than the "for later" bin.

• Like 2

While the "New Posts" and "Watched Forum" features help, they are really no substitute for the usability of the old "Unified Forums" function of the old PN. In addition, in Trending Photos, when you click to look at an image and then backspace to get back to the gallery, you never go back to where you were in the photo gallery. You also can not jump back to a specific page in Trending Photos since there is no mechanism to do so and the loading photos can be painfully slow. Been a PN user for almost 20 years and certainly prefer the site as created by Philip, but I guess we need to move forward.
  • Like 1

Thanks for removing the idiot entries in the Black & White forum yesterday. It now seems like this astro-pysco has morphed into "true molvi" at the Casual Conversations forum and "gujrat baba" in the Business of Photography forum. Nothing like nit-wits in this digi world! Aloha, Bill

It appears PN's spam filter needs a lot of tightening. There's new spam posts literally every minute.

<br><br>

Discovered the nice feature of "ignore" (accessible through clicking on the screen name and also from the user Profile Page); instantly silences those spam posts (but of course doesn't make them go away for others).

Speaking of nice features, I do like the memory of what I've seen - highlighting threads that contain new entries, and taking me straight to the first new post. It also meant I could tell when the site had spontaneously logged me out, because this feature stopped working.<br />

<br />

If we do end up having a mandatory timed log-out (I'm a little confused at Glenn liking my post, but... thank you?), it would be nice if the counter reset while you were active on the site. I've been posting and then immediately logged out, which is a bit weird. But I'd rather not be logged out at all. Again, not the highest priority fix.</p>

just a note on someone who, after clicking on an image and wanting to go back, doesn't work right. I've worked around this by pinning pn tab and ctrl-click on image to open, so will open in another tab. when closing this tab, will automatically go back to where you were, at least in Firefox. Greg

I agree. Navigation problems are a major irritation for me. If you click on an individual picture for an expanded view, back arrow often takes you back to the top of the page rather than where you were before. This was not the case in the previous version. There's a whole lot of scrolling going on (with apologies to Jerry Lee Lewis).

I assume that someone paid the developers to do the work. Let the contractor make it right. Makes sense to me. But I am not into web creation. Had assumed it was a mature technology. Anyway, it will always be the content that makes PN and less concerned about format. I may have missed the goals and objectives. Good wishes of course. For old times sake.
  • Like 1

Glenn,

I sent an e-mail to you regarding this, but I'll also mention it here. You may see it here faster.

In the old site some of us had the ability to remove spam posts from view, then mods dealt with the spam. We kept the streets swept up. Can you please reinstate that function to those of us who had it. We can get back to street sweeping and keep the new site tidy and free of visible spam. This would result in fewer posts about spam site wide. Thanks.

Glenn,

I sent an e-mail to you regarding this, but I'll also mention it here. You may see it here faster.

In the old site some of us had the ability to remove spam posts from view, then mods dealt with the spam. We kept the streets swept up. Can you please reinstate that function to those of us who had it. We can get back to street sweeping and keep the new site tidy and free of visible spam. This would result in fewer posts about spam site wide. Thanks.

Controls were just tightened to control spam, but also implementing a few new rules for new users. Spam should be in our review view mirror soon.

I just took a look at the "My Library" feature. When viewing an image it indicates the public/private status, but also has a download button. Are we giving the world the ability to easily download images from our portfolios?

I had the same reaction when I saw 'download' link. What gives?

Are we giving the world the ability to easily download images from our portfolios?

I had the same reaction when I saw 'download' link.

I logged out of the site and went in as a non-member; I couldn't access My Library. So I think the member is the only one who has access to their library--looks like it's safe. I also couldn't see anyone else's library from within the site as a logged-in member.

I don't make assumptions about anything being safe when it says "download". I clicked on it with one of my images and it opened a large version of the image, perhaps downloading from the cloudnet location?. I was then able to right click and save the file to any location I wanted. I tried it with another photographers image, but, fortunately was unable to save it. "Download" may not be the best word for the purpose. This is why I'm asking rather than jumping to conclusion. It's a new feature, thus in the works.

I don't make assumptions about anything being safe when it says "download". I clicked on it with one of my images and it opened a large version of the image, perhaps downloading from the cloudnet location?. I was then able to right click and save the file to any location I wanted. I tried it with another photographers image, but, fortunately was unable to save it. "Download" may not be the best word for the purpose. This is why I'm asking rather than jumping to conclusion. It's a new feature, thus in the works.

My Library is only accessible by you because it resides in your member center.

I just took a look at the "My Library" feature. When viewing an image it indicates the public/private status, but also has a download button. Are we giving the world the ability to easily download images from our portfolios?

Again My Library is only accessible by you because you are logged in viewing your Member Center (fka your "workspace")

Quick Update on 2/15 almost midnight EST.

Our dev crew have been working very hard pre-release and post release. Any and all positive comments are appreciated, meaningful critique is also appreciated - they are working hard for the community so if you have to take out your frustrations on anyone, take them out on me.

[ATTACH]1176375[/ATTACH]

Hi Glen,

I really, really don't want to take any frustrations out on anyone. But I have been waiting now for several days, almost a week, to a reply in our private conversation, or email, and nothing.

Just the basic naviagation through a gallery is so dysfunctional . . . . if you click on a picture to take a look at it, the order of the other pictures in the gallery changes . . . after scrolling through a certain number of pictures (not that many), you get a "load more" icon, leaving you with very little idea how many more pictures are in the gallery . . . PhotoNet is just completely dysfunctional at this point.
  • Like 1

I hope there will be a way to diminish the in your face photographer profile that shows up when one goes to your site. I think it is too intrusive and there should be a way to arrange how it looks. I have noticed others have mentioned this as well. I would rather have my images be the first thing you see rather than my profile.