Profoto Acute2 1200R easily overheating?

chris_shawn

<p>Hello,<br>

I use a Profoto Acute2 1200R and recently shot with 2 lights attached to it. I only shot at half power setting but continously over approx. 80 minutes (around 500 shots). Then it stopped working due to overheating.<br>

It worked again after a while but I am only a bit afraid and would like to know if anyone has experience with the Acute2 1200R and could give me an answer.<br>

I use mine for 5 years now. It always worked fine until March this year. It stopped working completely. I had it repaired afterwards. Then it worked again. Now, I am only concernced it might be short before breaking down again and soon I have a job abroad where I need it and where I can't bring any backup or have availability for rental equipment. As this trip costs me a lot of money, it's quite important my Acute works reliable.<br>

I am aware that noone can give me an answer from my description but I wanted to ask for other experiences on the Acute2 1200R. The manual is not really helpful. It says:<br>

"...<br>

Automatic Safety Function<br />If the unit is under intensive use with frequent flashing for an<br />extreme long period of time, the recycling will stop completely.<br />This is to prevent the unit from overheating and is indicated by a<br />red light in the photocell(11)<br />The overheat protection in the Acute2 head turns off the modelling<br />light when the head is overheated.<br>

..."<br>

But how intensive was my use with 500 flashes in 80 minutes? Too intensive?</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Chris</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I work with elinchrome ranger so I can not help you with any experience from the profoto equipment. but 500 flashes in 80 minuts sound pretty intense to me. If you not under a time pressure for this job, try to work a bit slower. heat is a killer for a lot of electrical components.<br>

Best regards Tore</p>