Processing times for Kodak Royal-X Pan Film ASA 1250

sean_mcbride1

I have a couple rolls of 120 Royal-X Film that I shot at ASA 1250 but no

processing tables for it. Does anyone have any processing times for it?

I have access to mostly Ilford chemistry but also some Kodak developers. I doubt

anyone knows how long to develop this film in Ilford developer, but that would

be the most helpful.

Thanks.

I took a look in my 1970 Kodak dataguide, it gives a time of 9 minutes for HC-110 Dil B. No Ilford developers are in the Kodak guide (surprise surprise), and d76/ID-11 is not recommended, but I think Ilfotech HC is a HC-110 equivalent?

I don't know if you going to get much of an image out of them, I'd imagine at the least the base fog level would be pretty high, but if you've got the developer give it a shot, and maybe add some extra time too.

<p>

In May, 1969, the 68°F times were:

</p>

<table>

<th>

<tr>

<td>Developer</td><td>Time</td>

</tr>

</th>

<tr>

<td>DK-50</td><td>6</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>DK-60a</td><td>5</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>Polydol</td><td>9</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>HC-110 (Dilution A)</td><td>5</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>HC-110 (Dilution B)</td><td>10</td>

</tr>

</table>

<p>

Very much a press photographer's set of developers, DK-50 and D-60a are classic deep tank developers.

</p>

<p>

HC-110 would indeed be a good choice, since it's good at restraining base fog.

</p>

On the recommendatio of my photo teacher, I ended up developing one of the rolls in Ilford DD-X for 9 minutes (the time recommended for T-Max at 1600). It actually turned out better than I expected, there is noticeable base fog but the negatives are certainly printable.

I still have another roll and I'd like to develop it in HC but we don't have any. The only kodak developer we have is D-76.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

The data sheet for a roll expiring in May 1979 had times at 68F:

HC-110 Dilution B 9

Polydol 7

DK-50 5

HC-110 Dilution A 5

I just used that roll, and developed in HC-110 dilution B for 8 minutes at 66F, concerned about over-developing. I should have used the full 9 minutes at 68F, the dense parts weren't all that dense. (But the film base + fog density is 0.95!) Most of roll exposed at EI 200, last three shots I bracketed down to EI 50, which is what was best.

Royal-X was pretty foggy, and horribly grainy stuff when well in-date, and now hasn't been produced in donkey's years. Plus was only available as rollfilm when last seen.

I'd be quite surprised if any surviving rolls were useable, and absolutely flabbergasted if they gave anything like a speed of 1250 ISO.

Yes, I haven't been very interested in using it.

On the other hand, I have a bunch of rolls of TMZ from about 1998, not much reason to save

all of them, so I used one (so far).

I knew about RX when I was young, but didn't know where to find any. I might have

tried it then, if I had some. And it is only 120, not other roll sizes, at least from the

data sheet I have.

-- glen

A while back I found a brief write up of Royal X Pan when it was introduced. I think Kodak cautioned against big enlargements. I think if I had any of this film I'd try a roll and just see what happens. Kodak of course never offered this film in 35mm but later offered the very grainy 2475 Recording film.

So long as I've revived the thread, I'll post my experiences with shooting a roll of RX120 which expired in May, 1979. I've kept it refrigerated, and I think it had been well-cared for when I bought it. I exposed most of the roll at EI 200, but bracketed 50/100/200 for the last three shots.

Developed in HC-110 Dilution B for 8 minutes at 65F, which was a bit of a pull. I should not have pulled it, the highlights aren't all that dense. The film base + fog density is about 0.95. (I pulled for fear of it coming out all black, like old Verichrome orthochromatic tends to do.)

The bracketing showed that I should have used EI 50, there's not much shadow detail in the other shots. Grain, well, yeah, coarse and ugly.

1579178478_Royal-X6BoatsandGeneratorEI50.thumb.jpg.acd33fdce1c06ac1a36c8cdfa6612775.jpg

Camera was a No. 1 Autographic Kodak Special Model B. (Way older than the film!)

Location was Star Island, Isles of Shoals, NH, during spring setup season.

Edited by john_shriver

Oh, there were some runs of Royal-X in 135-36, see this eBay auction:

3 Rolls Kodak Royal-X Pan B&W Film. -expired 1963 Hi Speed Film Metal Canisters | eBay

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.e37ef87a6f4e3d1818fdfbb7ccbc1844.jpg

But it clearly wasn't a normal production item, special-order. But they did paint the film can lids the correct special blue-grey color! (Or is that Ektachrome blue?)

I bought one batch of 3 rolls, which is what motivated me to test out one of the RX120 rolls. Expiration date is December 1963, so it's much older than my RX120.

Edited by john_shriver