Processing Stickers on my Negatives (Yashica Mat 124G)

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by ben_nauber, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Recently got back a roll of processed film where a sticker used to identify the negatives was placed directly on the last/first (?) image of the roll. I inquired about this, as it left a permanent marking on the negative, and they said it was because I wasn't accurate with my film loading. He said that if it continues to be a problem, that I might crank the film half an inch past the the film-loading stop arrow.
    Is this true? Can anyone comment on this? I'm shooting with a Yashica Mat 124G by the way.

2. I could very well be true. Do another test roll by very carefully aligning the arrow with the start mark. Make sure that you are using the correct arrow. There is an arrow for 120 film and another for 220. One is under the camera and the other at the back, so be sure you've got the correct one for the type of film you are using. Also, be sure you've got the pressure plate set for the correct film type. Having the wrong pressure plate setting will result in slightly soft focused negatives at more open f stops.
    If you've got all of that set accurately and still get a frame too close to the end of the film, you might want to consider having the body looked at. It could be the indication that the gears are not tracking properly and it can result in not only lost end frames, but overlapping frames throughout and that means totally lost images.
    If you don't have a manual to go from, you can download one from butkus.com. Hundreds of manuals for all kinds of vintage cameras and he only asked for donation. One terrific service.
    Darned good cameras, by the way. I use a pair of them and see little difference in sharpness between prints from those and from my Hasselblads until I get about 16x20's.

3. (i) The key thing you need to do is determine whether it's the first exposure or the last exposure. This should be easy-- look at the white index numbers on the edge.
    (ii) If your camera is placing the first exposure too soon, like right at the leading edge of the taped end, the advice would be correct to wind on an extra couple of centimeters. OTOH, if your last exposure is right on the very tail end of the film stock, then the camera is probably spacing your frames very widely or unevenly, and I foresee Mr Mark Hama in your future.
    I've never worked in a photo processing lab, but I would have thought it more likely they put the identifier on the tail end of the roll, like as soon as they break the seal. Less chance for screwups, I would think. Someone here will know.
    FWIW, I think I usually have about 6 or 8cm of blank film at the taped leading end of a 120 roll, and maybe 3 or 4cm at the tail end. I can't lay my hands on an uncut roll right now, but I think that's about right. It would vary with your camera and format.

4. Your solution should be as simple as winding slightly past the Start arrow by the amount of safety you need in the event they put a sticker on the film. I seem to recall my 124G not taking up nearly as much film as my Hasselblads do.

5. The lab should put the label on the free end of the film, i.e. the end opposite the tape. That tongue should be free of images and relatively long.
    If you have images all the way to the end of the film, you may have a frame spacing problem.
    - Leigh

6. Yashica 124Gs have long been known to have winding issues and erratic frame spacing, FWIW...