Processing Kodachrome in B&W or C-41 chemistry?

david_gagnon

I acquired some Kodachrome 200 ISO 35mm film that is out of date and

was wondering if anyone out there has tried processing it in

chemistry other than was intended? I know that it normally would

require a very special batch of chemicals that only Kodak has the

equipment to process Kodachrome with, but after all, this is the

Alternative Processes Forum and I'm wanting to experiment here. Any

suggestions or guesses as to what the results will be? I'm sure

someone out there has accidentally processed Kodachrome in E6, too.

Any takers?

Thanks in advance.

DG

I guess you might get something if you processed it in B&W chemistry, but you'll probably get blank film if you put it in E-6, since the bleach will remove the silver, which will not have been replaced by the dyes of the K-14 process.

Use it as Kodachrome. Kodak can process it, and so can A&I. A&I even still does push processing on Kodachrome.

• 1 month later...
You will definitely get blank film in E6 or C41 chemistry. B&W processing is possible, but the results are said to be not very interesting and I don't know how to do it. If the film is moderately out of date, your best bet is still to soup it in K14 chemistry.

• 1 month later...
I've shot and processed 20+ year-old Kodachrome Super8 film and cross processed it as B&W with interesting results (somewhat brownish tone, looks aged). I followed Martin Baumgarten's suggestions that were listed <a href="http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/k12bwnegdev.html">here</a>. If I recall correctly, I had to overexpose the film by a stop or two to get a good image.

• 10 months later...
As I recall, Kodachrome starts out as a b/w film and the dyes are added during processing. I have never done this before, but here's a suggestion: as you have kodachrome 200, find the dev. times for Plus-x and Tri-x in your favorite b/w developer and average the two. That might be a good starting point. Even if you don't get great images, slides printed on to b/w paper sometimes make good photos from bad images. Give it a shot!