Processing in San Francisco

I just bought a Canon EOS rebal and am starting out. I am looking for

a lab to process color and B&W photos. It there a lab in SF that

does a good job or should I ship to Portland Color? If I use

Portland Color do they process the film and send me the negs or do I

find someone local to process the negs and use Portland Color to

print the final prints

I'd recommend "The Dark Room" in San Carlos (OK, not exacly San Francisco, but not far). I've developed a few rolls of 120 B&W (traditional and C41) without a problem. I've not had them do any prints for me (except for a pair of contact sheets), but they seem to be serious about it.

Check http://www.thedarkroom.com

I have no doubt that you'll find some excellent labs in the city as well. San Carlos happens to be more conveniently located for me (a few minutes from home, a few minutes from work).

Hi, I will be finishing my holiday in SF and I want to pick up 100 rolls or so of Velvia, it is about US$14 a roll in Australia, compared to $4.19 at B & H and Adorama.

Does anyone in SF have it for a good price? (I would prefer not to lug an extra 100 rolls across country as well as the 50 I will use on the trip - carrying $160 rolls of film through carry-on luggage will be a real pain)

Cheers,

Antony

You didn't specify what kind of color film. If it's E-6 slide film, I go to ChromeWorks on Bryant between 2nd and 3rd. Across the street is Photographer's Supply, an excellent place to buy lighting gear, film, paper and other darkroom supplies.

There is another (quite large) pro lab called the New Lab down on Bryant street, but as I don't do color negatives, I haven't tried their services. For B&W, I develop myself at home and print at the Focus gallery (Polk @ Union).