Processing and Printing 110 Film

I recently stumbled across a Kodak 110 Instamatic camera with a

exposed film inside at a thrift store and decided to buy it. I have

no idea how long the film had been sitting in the camera, but I'd

love to process and print it to see what I might find.

I don't have any processing or printing equipment, so I'm hoping

someone could either recommend a lab that could do it or provide the

services themselves for a reasonable price.

Thanks,

John

Given that you can still buy 110 film (in one or two emulsions) in some locations, there must be places that can process it. I assume a) it's C-41 color film, and b) you live in a city of some kind; call around to places listed in the yellow pages under "photo finishing" or something similar and see who will process a roll of 110 for you, and how much they charge. It probably won't be Costco, but it might be WalMart, if they have knowlegeable people running the system; most current processing machines use leader cards, and can process anything from 120 width down to Minox (if the lab were willing to deal with the small stuff) but most won't actually handle anything but 135 and APS, not coincidentally the two format that come in easy to handle cassettes and don't require dark box handling to load the film for processing.

If the stuff is B&W, then you need to find someone who processes their own 16 mm film, which is nearly anyone who owns and uses a Minolta 16, Mamiya 16, Rollei 16, Steky, etc., and a fair fraction of those who own and use any Minox format camera. Once you have negatives, you can get them printed anywhere, even at the local C-41 One Hour place (if they're willing to set their filters, but they should be able to handle it since they must see an occasional roll of XP-2 that doesn't have the orange base).

Of course, there's no guarantee that found film will have anything on it -- if the shutter wasn't opening in the camera, the entire roll might be blank, and if the film was subjected to very poor conditions, it might be too fogged to retrieve the images.

I still occasionally use a pair of Pentax Auto 110 SLRs. And found a few rolls of unused Verichrome Pan in the fridge! I have one roll ready now for processing, with a 16mm Kindermann stainless reel for my tank, and a 30mm Minolta enlarging lens in the Beseler.

Recently bought a "brick" of Kodacolor Gold Ultra ISO400 film in 110 size from B&H. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=122480&is=REG This may be about all that's left on the market. My local lab has processed 110 Kodacolor for me in the past year with no apparent difficulty. You could give them a call if you can't easily find processing elsewhere.

Photo Haus

Yakima, WA

509/575-1770

If you're going to process 110 film yourself, and only need to do a roll or two, one simple adapter is to fix out a roll of scrap 35 mm film, then load the 110 by taping it (emulsion *up* -- I got that wrong the first time) to the 35 mm, and loading the 35 mm strip into a 35 mm reel and tank in the normal way.

If you'll process a lot, it's likely worthwhile to either locate one or two 16 mm reels, or make an ABS pipe tank like the one I made for my Minolta 16 films. Pretty simple -- core is a 1 1/2" pipe with caps cemented on, the caps turned down on a lathe to clear inside 2" ABS pipe. The 2" pipe has one ordinary cap (not cemented -- means I can disassemble for cleaning), and one with a center hole drilled to accept a 1/2" to 3/4" gray PVC adapter, with the octagonal piece inside notched to provide pouring clearance while the rim holds the core in place inside the tank (ABS isn't made smaller than 1 1/2" but PVC isn't opaque enough for the tank body); this is glued into the hole in the cap with "transition cement" made for gluing PVC to ABS. The core needs to move about 1/32", or the tank will leak at the cap joints because you can't fully seat the pipe into the caps, but the end of the core acts as a light baffle so no other baffle is needed. Finally, a 3/4" PVC cap keeps the liquid inside during inversion.

The first one costs around $15 because the pipe is sold in 10 foot lengths, but after that, they cost about $6 each for the fittings. You can size the core to fit the film you'll use; to load, tape the film (still emulsion *out*) to the core and wrap it in a spiral, then tape the other end. Drop the core in the tank, make sure both lids are tight, and you're ready to go. Sized to just accept 24" of 16 mm film, this tank holds about 2 ounces to the bottom of the filler neck -- which is plenty, since a 24" length of 16 mm film is about 1/6 the area of a 135-36.

I shoot some 110 film every now and then in my Pentax Auto 110 (among others) and I sometimes get my processing done at the local Wal-Mart. They do 1-hour on 110 film.

As far as film availability, I know of Kodak 400, various ISO 200 dollar store house brands (usually made in Italy by Ferrania), and Walgreen's house brand (made in Germany by Agfa). Also the Dollar General has Fuji Superia 200, which seems to yield the best results. Hope this helps.

Greetings Everyone....

I have a Frontier 340 Machine by Fugi that my Lab was recently given...

We were experimenting with 110 film the other day...

Not to worry is one of our rolls, not a customer's... Were a teaching facility but we would not jump right in like that... lol.

We were able to make negatives for it but when it came to running them on the machine they were to small for our deck.

Does anyone out there know if Fugi makes a deck for 110 film and if so how much ( ball park figure)

Thanks...