Problems with F5 relation to serial numbers

keith_merrill

I was just wondering if anybody had any info on problems with the f5

and how to find the age of the camera with the serial numbers. I

have tried to search for it on this site but its not coming up with

much. I am thinking of buying a use f5 with a serial number

#307XXXX. The camera appears to be in great condition and working

properly. Has there been any serious upgrades from older models?

Thank you very much and I am sorry if this has been asked and

answered before, I can't seem to find the answer.

I can provide you one data point. I know of an F5 with Serial Number 3086xxx purchased in December, 1997, a little more than a year after the F5 was first introduced in late 1996.

The early samples tend to have a battery indicator problem such that they appear to go through batteries rather quickly. The indicator would show low battery although there is actually plenty of juice left. Back then this issue was widely discussed on the web and was fixed within a few months. The F5 I mentioned above never showed this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by a knowledgeable collector that the first production F5's (and also F4s) could suffer sever shutter damage when used with large zoom lenses.

The problem relates to lenses that use internal focusing or that move large amounts of glass inside the barrel of the lens. Because of the good seal against the lens mount you had a sealed column of air between the rear lens groups and the shutter. If you zooms rapidly, usually combimed with fast shooting as well, it is possible to suck the shutter blades into the camera (away from the film plane) slightly, but enough for the double shutters in the F4 and F5 to jam hoplessly.

This was fixed quickly after the initial production runs but adding small vens around the shutter chamber. I am not sure if these vents are visable to the user, or after which serial number these changes were incorporated.

Cheers

Dave