Problems with A12 Back

paul_lasiter1

I recently have been having problems with my 503cxi Hasselblad (really the A12 back). After I take a shot and advance the film, the shutter will not trip. To be more exact, the shutter release button will not release. After a great deal of experimentation, I have traced the problem to the A12 Back. When I remove the A12 back or replace it with another back (after removing the dark slide, of course), everything works correctly.

<p>

Have any of you experieinced this problem? This problem was random, but it is becoming much more frequent. Any suggestions? Is this a good time to send the back to Hasselblad for service (it is about 14 months old).

<p>

Thanks!

/s/ Paul Lassiter

Paul,

I have not experienced this problem BUT I have had Hasselblad A-12 backs apart and there is only one reason I can think of for the problem you are describing. On the bottom of the back, behind the film opening plate, there is a lever which moves to either open or close the small hole in the lower left as you insert and remove the slide. You can see this yourself by looking at the back (the side that joins the body) and moving the slide in and out. At the lower left you will see a small rectangular opening which will open up when the slide is about halfway out. If this lever does not pivot, the the shaft from the shutter release can not move into the hole, and it can not release. You can see this shaft by looking at the lower right of the body as you relase the shutter (with the back off of course). You can remove the back panel yourself and lube the lever or have Hasselblad overhaul the back. If you choose to do it yourself, use only screwdrivers which fit properly so you won'y mar the finnish. Also, be sure you properly replace the light trap or you may have problems. The back film opening plate is attached by about eight small screws around its perimeter. Hope this helps. If this back was bought new and is only 14 months old, call Hasselblad about fixing it under warranty...if it was only a yr., they might give you 2 mos. grace. It's a simple problem and it would be great free press for them on the 'net. Hope this helps...call Hassey.

Tom