Problem with zooming in selfportrait with retarder

francoiseangers

The camera is likely auto-focusing when you press the shutter release, so the focus is somewhere behind where you are standing. Try placing an item in the same place you will be standing or the camera to focus on, then place your face in the same location for the camera to make the exposure. Or, get a friend or neighbor to take the picture.

The camera is likely auto-focusing when you press the shutter release, so the focus is somewhere behind where you are standing.

That would be my guess too.

If your camera allows manual focus, you can preset the focus to where you'll be standing/sitting, before pressing the shutter-release.

BTW, it took me a few seconds to realise that by 'retarder' you meant 'self-timer'.

The camera is likely auto-focusing when you press the shutter release, so the focus is somewhere behind where you are standing. Try placing an item in the same place you will be standing or the camera to focus on, then place your face in the same location for the camera to make the exposure. Or, get a friend or neighbor to take the picture.

Thank you David, I did another photo session today. I put my "Bee plush" to focus on. Sometimes I managed to have the right focus, but other times the photo was blurred, I don't really understand why. But I think I have at least one that's good enough (I hope).

I'd like to do another session because I want to understand why it doesn't function all the time.

I'll let you know about my finds.

It's a very interesting camera. I've had it for a while but never have the time to "study" it.

Good advice so far.

It seems you joined PN to ask this question. I hope you'll stick around :).

If you don't have the camera user guide, you can find it here.

Thank you for your reply Mike.

By the feedback I have, that encourages me to "stick around".

Thank you for the link to the guide, I'll take a look at it.

It's more user-friendly than the one I have.

• Like 1

That would be my guess too.

If your camera allows manual focus, you can preset the focus to where you'll be standing/sitting, before pressing the shutter-release.

BTW, it took me a few seconds to realise that by 'retarder' you meant 'self-timer'.

Thank you Joe, as you can see my name is Françoise which means (française) French in the old French language.

I don't speak English very often. In French we use the word "retardateur", and my camera is set in French.

One more word in my English vocabulary!!!

Thank you David, I did another photo session today. I put my "Bee plush" to focus on.

You are more than welcome. I had time tonight to take a quick look at the User Guide for your camera. The Guide indicates that, for self-timer use, you set the timer function, then you focus at the desired location using a 1/2 press of the shutter release. Once focus is achieved, depress the shutter release button completely (WITHOUT first releasing it) to initiate the timer. It seems pretty clear that having the camera focused at the correct range is critical. The Guide warns that pushing the shutter release fully, without first confirming focus with a 1/2 press can result in unfocused images. You really need to make sure the autofocus is targeted at the correct range before releasing the shutter. From the Guide it looks like the camera will show you the items used to establish focus by placing "frames" around the portions of the image that are in focus. It sounds like you have the right idea, so perhaps you only need to work on your technique a bit?

Further reading indicates the camera has a manual focus function that might also help. It is found on Page 80 of the English language guide I downloaded. You might review that option as well. Regardless, in order to do this by yourself you will need an object on which to establish focus, and that you can duplicate by placing your own face in exactly the same location.