problem with the my d700 auto whitebalce

ayman_al_lawati

<p>I have a problem with the auto white balance in my Nikon d700<br>

lets say that am capturing a bride in a wedding hall that contains only yellow spot lights and she is wearing white. if am using the auto white balance, her dress will show in yellowish color instead of white ( the picture will be very warm)</p>

<p>any idea about how to solve this problem ?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,</p>

<p>Ayman, if you want to get WB right in the camera, usually Auto WB can only go so far in balancing an over-all scene's color temperature. </p>

<p>Extreme color temperatures often require that you either manually set the temperature, or that you set a custom temperature by shooting a white card that fills the finder, or the use of a color balance disk placed over the lens ... where you shoot a sample and then use that shot as the color balance for those conditions ... then change it again when conditions change.</p>

<p>See the D700 manual on where and how to do each of those solutions.</p>

<p>Best of luck. </p>

<p>I don't think it's a matter of hit or miss (as in a specific camera) but a matter of definition that affects all digital camera with auto WB. Don't forget..... auto means auto. Auto WB works the same as auto exposure. The camera makes a 'judgment' for every shot based on its algorithms. A little different camera angle, light, composition, anything can change either WB or exposure. Shoot at a set, non-auto WB in RAW. Then you have the latitude to adjust later.</p>

<p>I agree with everyone above. However, if you are actually talking about yellow colored spotlights, and not just tungsten lighting, you have a slightly different problem that, for sure, auto white balance isn't going to get right at all.</p>

<p>If the hall indeed has yellow colored spotlights, and, for instance, the bride is standing under the spotlight, and you manually correct for the yellow, the rest of your image will probably be off. In cases like this, the question becomes--do you go for the image as a whole or just concentrate on the bride's dress?</p>

<p>WB, regardless of what camera brand you're using is likely to skrew you in many ways, thus either shoot raw, as was already said or preset it.<br>

Many of my colleagues costume set it once and never touch it again, some shoot RAW. Few other, shoot SUNNY. On Nikon, I shoot SUNNY A2, on CANON Just Sunny. Keep in mind that in all of these situations, we shoot with at least on camera flash. Even outdoors, we use flash at very low settings to fill in the shadows.<br>

OUTdoors, WB will probably not be a major contributor, but indoors, AWB is a MeanKid with a baseball bat.<br>

Adam</p>