Problem with meter on Minolta X-570

Not sure if this is the right sub-form to post this - sorry in advance if I got it wrong!

I am experiencing issues with the meter on my Minolta X-570. It seems to be metering at an aperture between f/11 and f/16 and is locked onto that setting. Adjusting the aperture does not change the suggested shutter speed shown in the viewfinder. However, once the depth of field preview button is pressed down the meter appears to take into account the current aperture setting and the suggested shutter speed changes.

I am using a 2nd generation MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 lens (without the aperture lock). This happened out of the blue - I'm not sure if there's a setting I missed or if it is an issue with the capacitor. The camera was recently purchased but I previously shot two rolls and didn't remember encountering such an issue.

Grateful if someone could shed some light on the problem. Many thanks!

There is a an aperture coupling ring (if I got the name right) that couples with the lens' aperture ring. This informs the meter of the aperture. On some cameras this ring may get sticky or even stuck. With the lens removed this ring should turn freely. If it does, then the problem might be with the lens. If you have another MD or MC mount lens on hand you can see it it works properly. The older Auto Rokkkors do not couple with the ring. If the shutter is firing at the correct speed then the capacitor is fine.

Hope this works. Let us know things work out.

Thanks for the advice! I noticed that the aperture coupling tab had been disengaged initially but wasn't sure of its purpose. There appeared to be an issue with the ring getting stuck on the right and not returning to its original position on the left. I ended up swapping the coupling ring with the functional one in a faulty body I had on hand, and the meter seems to be working fine now.

Thanks again for the help!