problem with e500

jay_wasack

I hope this is the right spot for this question.

I have an e500 and have had great success taking pics in fully automatic mode. I like to take sports photos of my

daughter's soccer team and, for the most part, they are good. I've recently decided to try getting into aperture

or shutter priority but when I switch to either, I my pictures are all "green". I would like to know wha tmight

be cause this anomoly or what other information i must provide to get some advice.

One observation: it seems like the red and blues are "cut off" when I look at the info screen in play mode.

Thanks in advance!

Jay,

The size limits for posting images in the forum relate to the pixel dimensions of the image, not so much the compression ratio. I would recommend posting something resized to 511 pixels but with less compression.

However, even with the high compression on your image it's pretty clear that something is wrong. Have you checked your white balance settings? Are you shooting RAW or JPG?

Shooting jpeg @ SQ 3200x2400

I just did white balance but will do it again and take another test shot.

Anything else I can provide.

As said, in M/S/A mode I get these results.

In AUTO, no problems. I've taken pics in AUTO and then replicated the settings in A or S mode and still the same results.

Well, if you set the white balance based on some interior temperature color (i.e. influenced by incandescent

lighting) and then pointed the camera outside, the colors would indeed be different. I'm not sure if that's what

you did in the example photo.

But certainly, try shooting with WB set to auto in Av/Tv/M and see if the colors are the same ghastly green or if

they're closer to what you'd expect.

If you want to use manual white balance, just be sure that you are setting the white balance under the same lighting conditions you are shooting in. Just like taking a manual meter reading.... if you manually meter or WB under one lighting condition and then move the camera into a different lighting condition, your exposure and WB will not be correct. If you are shooting outdoors in sunlight you should not need any WB anyway, but set the camera to default sunlight setting.

• 3 weeks later...
when I had the E-500, I ran into this problem from time to time. The problem was I hit the WB or fn button accidentally and it threw the WB off. It took me the second time and a couple of ruing pictures to realize that I have accidentally hit these buttons. You just need to read the manual to learn how to reset and re-assign the fn button to reset to "my mode". You don't need to touch the WB unless you have to, most of the time auto setting will work.