problem with burst rate in rebel xsi

jr stevens

<p>Hi all, i just bought a new rebel xsi and while i generally love the camera I am having an issue with the burst rate..its supposed to shoot 3.5 fps but the burst rate in the viewfinder only ever shows a max of 2! I have tried turning off highlight tone priority, long exposure noise reduction,etc but nothing seems to work..is this rate of 3.5 fps only achievable with the battery grip? pls help</p>

<p>The "burst rate" is not shown in the viewfinder. The number of photos the camera can buffer is shown. If you're shooting RAW+JPG you will not be able to buffer as many photos as just shooting JPG or just shooting RAW.</p>

<p>Edit: corrections:<br /> The best test would be to set the camera to ISO 100, RAW only, manual focus, and continuous mode. You should be able to achieve 3.5 frames per second for 6 or 7 frames.</p>

<p>If you shoot JPG only, you should be able to shoot continuously at 3.5 frames per second until the card is full. However, if you have a particularly slow SD card the camera may not see the full 3.5 frames per second if the camera has to wait for the buffer to clear.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I don't have any problem getting 3.5 fps shooting RAW only with my XSi. The buffer does fill up rather quickly with RAW. Normally I'll shoot without continuous and with slight pause between clicks I've gotten 5 quick RAW shots before filling the buffer. I've never even looked in the VF for the camera to tell me how many fps it will shoot so I can't help you there.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>The only way I can replicate the 2 maximum burst (the technical term) is to turn on High ISO NR, Long exposure NR, set to ISO 1600 and RAW + JPG.<br /> If shooting RAW, moving up to ISO 1600 will drop your max burst from 6 to 5.<br /> IF you've turned off High ISO NR, HTP and LENR, set to RAW and set ISO to 100 and you're still getting the lower max burst, not sure what to tell you.<br>

Since the max burst is the camera buffer and not the card, I'm not sure that a slow card will affect the max burst the camera is showing you, but it might be worth swapping out just to check.</p>