Problem with AI converted E lens on D200

robert_k1

<p>I have used several manual Nikkor lenses on my D200 without any problems, in either the manual or aperture priority exposure mode. After entering the lens data in the menu's non-CPU Lens Data, the setting on the aperture ring would display correctly in the viewfinder.</p>

<p>But an AI converted 75-150mm E series zoom behaves in a rather strange way. The shutter can ONLY be released if the aperture ring is set at f22 (but f5 would be displayed in the viewfinder). At all other settings, an error FEE would flash in the viewfinder, and the shutter won't release.</p>

<p>What is causing this, and is there a remedy?</p>

<p>Robert, review the section in your Owner's Manual re: aperture settting. You have the option of adjusting the ap via either a command dial (thumb or index finger) or the ap ring on the lens. If the D200' setting is set to adjust via a command dial, it is imperative that the ap ring on the lens be set to minimum setting e.g. f22 in this case.</p>

<p>I don't understand the phrase "AI-converted E series". The E lenses were introduced in 1979, at which point AI was already a standard feature. There is no need to AI-convert any Series E lens.</p>

<p>If the aperture displays normally in the viewfinder with other manual Nikkors, but not this one, that suggests a mechanical problem with the lens that is causing it to position the aperture lug incorrectly. If the camera can't make sense of what the lens is telling it, that would probably explain the error.</p>

<p>What do you mean by "<em>an AI converted 75-150mm E</em>"? No such thing exists, as the 75~150/3.5E is an Ai/AiS lens, so there is nothing to "convert". It's already AI. Or do you mean that a CPU chip been added to this lens?</p>

<p>If the lens has a CPU, and you have your D200 custom function for aperture control (*f5) set to "Sub-command dial", then you will need to use this lens with the aperture ring set to minimum (f/32), or you will need to change the custom function to allow for aperture control via the aperture ring for CPU lens.</p>

<p>If the lens does not have a CPU added, then what you describe is very bizarre indeed?!</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"All E-series lenses are AIS type. These can have the aperture set through the command dial."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Only <strong>CPU lenses</strong> (AF, AF-D, AF-S, AF-I, Ai-P) can have the aperture set via the command dial. All non-CPU lenses (Ai, AiS, Series E, pre-AI) must have the aperture set via the aperture ring, which is why they will only work in A and M exposure modes on compatible DSLR bodies.</p>

<p>An AiS lens that has a CPU chip added to it by a third party conversion essentially becomes an Ai-P lens. These work in all exposure modes, and can have the aperture set by command dial.</p>

<p>Thanks to all you aces. You solved my problem. It is indeed a CPU converted lens, which I seldom use. My mistake.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If the lens has a CPU, and you have your D200 custom function for aperture control (*f5) set to "Sub-command dial", then you will need to use this lens with the aperture ring set to minimum (f/32), or you will need to change the custom function to allow for aperture control via the aperture ring for CPU lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>When *f5 is set to "Sub-command dial", only setting the aperture ring to f/22 instead of f/32 works. Rotating the Sub-command dial will display the aperture from f/22 through f/3.5 in the viewfinder, but not f/32.</p>

<p>When *f5 is set to "Aperture ring", rotating the aperture ring from f/22 through f/5.6 will display correctly in the viewfinder. But at f/32, f/22 is displayed, and at f/3.5, f/3.8 is displayed.</p>

<p>I can live with either setup.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"... only setting the aperture ring to f/22 instead of f/32 works."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I suspect the reason for this is because the chip used for your "conversion" probably came from a variable aperture AF Nikkor zoom with an aperture range that tops out at f/22 at the wide end (probably a xx~xx f/3.5-4.5 zoom).</p>

<p>Indeed, Freeman is correct and it's a common misconception going from manual lenses registered using the in-camera database and those that have been CPU converted, such the legacy2digital lenses. It's important to note that the ability to override command-dial aperture control is only available with camera bodies that have the aperture tracking tab (D200, D300, D3, etc), and NOT lower end con- and pro- sumer bodies (D40, D80, D5000, etc.).</p>