Problem w/ 10D (?) What is this?

wannabe

Does anyone know what this is called and/or how I can fix it?

Lately I've been getting this more and more with my 4 year old 10D. I don't

even know how to describe it. But I get this in about 1 in 100 shots. I

never had this before and I take atleast a 1000-3000 shots a month.

I get this with any of my lenses and any of my compact flashes. Could it be

my card reader or camera? I just went back to my compact flash card and the

original photo is just fine.<div>00LY2X-37037184.JPG.add3939f4a31b116289b1e0d98e5db03.JPG</div>

If the original image is fine on the compact flash card (how did you confirm this?), then it could be your card reader or PC problem. I have a couple of flaky USB ports on my PC that I can't / don't use for any significant data transfer.

I would try changing one variable at a time to identify and eliminate the culprit. Hopefully, it's just a bad card reader (cheap and easy to replace, and getting better all the time). Make sure you reformat your CF cards in your 10D (as opposed to in a PC card reader) for maximum compatibility.

Good luck!

Presumably your confidence in the original image comes from being able to view it on the camera LCD. It sounds as if you may already have eliminated any individual card as a problem (unless they have all gone pear-shaped together). Your post implies that you are using a card reader to download. Is the effect consistent over repeated attempts? Just to provide a comparison, try a download over the camera USB cable. I agree with Jon that from what we know at this point, the card reader is the most likely culprit. Or maybe you live in California :-).

Thanks Jon and Robin!

I am hoping that the culprit is the card reader since that is much cheaper to replace...although if the problem is the 10d, well, shuck, I may have to get that 5d, 30d, or whatever/whenever their replacements come out.

I just wanted to put this out there to see if it is common and/or to find out what it's called. I tried to search the previous postings, but I didn't know what keywords to search for.

<p>If you suspect that the problem is being caused by your card reader, then try downloading the image by hooking the camera up directly to the computer*. If the image downloads correctly this way, then it would indeed seem to be the card reader that's the problem (either the hardware, or the driver software, so you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers before running out to buy another card reader). If not, then it's not the card reader; it's either the camera or the card. In that case, the first thing I'd suggest is to reformat the card (in the camera); there have been reports of people having corruption on their cards which did weird things to their files and was fixed by reformatting.</p>

<p>If none of that fixes it, then it seems likely that it's a problem with the camera. It could be a firmware problem that would be cured by replacing the firmware, but if there's a problem getting data back and forth between the camera and the CF card, that could be risky; if it screws up while loading the firmware, it's possible that the camera could be rendered inoperative.</p>

<p>*: I'm among the many who say a card reader is the better way to do this, so I'm not suggesting downloading directly from the camera as a replacement for using a card reader. I'm suggesting it as a troubleshooting step (a standard troubleshooting step is to isolate or remove one part of a complex system and see if that makes the problem go away), and if it proves that the card reader is the problem, as a workaround for getting your images between now and whenever you get a new card reader.</p>