Problem: 5D and SIgma 24mm f2.8

Barry Thomas

Just got a 5D and it has a problem with my Sigma 24mm f2.8 "Super Wide

II". It focusses, but press the shutter release and the mirror stops

up, I get ERR on the top display. Press again and the mirror falls and

the error clears, but no picture recorded.

Anyone tried the 5D with this lens?

Any problems?

Many thanks.

Sounds like it is a rather old version of the lens. You can try contacting Sigma to see if they can re-chip it for you, but I suspect that it is too old for them to be still carrying any chips. They may offer a new lens at a discount.

Weird, it has worked perfectly with my venerable D30 and my wife's D60 for years. No problems there, so I wondered if the 5D could be at fault, or if it was a definite not-working combination.

Anyone out there for whom this pairing works?...

tvm

Barry

Barry,

ok seems my information was not specific enough here.

What I found was a collection of lenses known not to work with

300D 350D 20D (likely 30D and 5D too, but these two are not mentioned)

The Sigma 24 f/2.8 is listed.

Rainer

Thanks Rainer, just found the list on photonotes - looks like I'm going to need to look again at my lenses. My 28-105 almost hits to 24mm end, but I used the 24mm for shooting my work, so another prime around that wide would be good for me, but everything has changed after moving from 1.6 x FOV crop to full frame.

Hmmmm, thinks... examines bloated credit card...

Many thanks.

B

Rainer, having looked at my needs, I'm going in the other direction - I want either an 85 f1.8 or 100 f2.0, but that's another discussion.

I used to shoot silver (on the D60) mainly with my 50mm 1.8, occasionally using the 24mm sigma. To replace those (on the 5D) I need probably the 85mm with occasional use of the 50mm. For walking around I've got the 28-105 305-4.5 II which for my snapshots is fine.

Thanks for the advice.

B

That Sigma lens is a great performer optically - I was fortunate enough to find one (manual focus Minolta version - same optical formula) for practically change), and really enjoy it for a couple of years with slide film.

It might not be worth spening money on custom-repairs, but what if it is something very simple? Just a thought. Here it is with NPZ 800

http://www.photo.net/photo/2719676&size=lg

Sigma confirmed that it won't work with the 5D and can't be rechipped, so I'll sell it with my venerable D30 which works fine with it.

Meanwhile I'm going to get the Canon 85mm f1.8. As soon as my credit card recovers from buying the 5D itself. :(

B