Pro Photographer's discount

dave92029

Some photo companies once offered student/educational discounts for photo gear. I don't

know if it's still done but it's still common with software, computers and printers.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Unfortunately, we're not like contractor rates at Home Depot and get a nice discount. We all pay the same as "uncle charlie"

You won't be seeing a new 5D, but Canon did announce the 1D MkIII that I keep dehydrating over due to over drooling!

As a photopro, we have to negotiate with the dealers prices just like everyone else, shop around, and establish ourself with certain dealers to get continual good deals as its easy to spend 5~15k/yr. when I managed a photo store I only gave discount to repeat customers. Printing can be different eg. even though we do our own, sometimes use certain labs for odd jobs, I`m doing a large print at present retails at aud155 pro price aud90, we normally pay aud1.10 for 10x8`s. everything bought for biz is tax deductable thats mainly where pro discount lies. A bloody good accountant.

I know some Brooklyn, NY, stores that can offers you a "PRO DISCOUNT" - you'll up to get 40% off NEW camera bodies.

<p>

Thing is, you <i>must</i> buy the CF cards from them too...which are <i>not</i> covered by the club prices.

<p>

See <a href=http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.aspx?prodid=308518>here...</a>

<p>

<b>:D</b>

The way to get discounts is to establish a relationship with a particular dealer. I'm no pro, but I regularly get discounts because I buy my gear from two places (one a used gear dealer, the other does a mix of new and used) and they cut me a deal on items because of repeat business.

Rob - your'e missing something - <a href="http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/photo_stores_2006.html">THIS</a> to be exact.

<p>

Canon have said nothing more at PMA but the rumormongers just won't listen to them. I mean they can't possibly be going the leave the 30D in place, can they....so the rumors must be right.

<p>

I don't think developing a relationship with B&H or Adorama is going to get you any extra discount. Your $4000 is a tiny drop in what's probably a $1 million/day business. You might get a discount from your local photo shop if you shop there a lot, but their prices are likely to be higher in the first place.

<p>

If you work for a Canon authorized dealer, I think they do offer some discount prices for employees, but not on the lastest, greatest and hottest selling items. You'll probably get a few bucks off a 30D though. Word is that they are not selling well. You get no discount just by being a member of Canon Professional Services and proving that you are a qualified progessional. You can't even buy cameas and lenses directly from Canon as far as I know.

<p>

If Canon had introduced a 40D which was a 30D with the 10MP sensor out of the XTi, they still get hammered, so they might as well wait until they can do it right. Probably sometime later this year. Probably. Let's hope they do it right and come out with something better the the competion and something that shows real technical innovation rather than just a "me too" camera.

"Let's hope they do it right and come out with something better the the competion and something that shows real technical innovation rather than just a "me too" camera."

Well I am sure hoping. The alternative would be to bring out a "me too" camera and cut the price. I could live with that.