Printing without cropping...

I need to print some fullsize 8x10's and 11x14's from a 10D without

having to crop the images. I have heard people discuss adding

borders around the image in PS to trick the printer (pro lab) into

printing the full frame image without cropping the image itself. In

other words, when the printer crops for the 8x10 it is actually

cropping off the borders (made in PS) rather than the image itself.

Could someone elaborate on how to achieve this. For instance if i

want to print the full frame 8x10 or 11x14, how big should the

canvas in PS be. Any other tips on accomplishing this would be

greatly appreciated.

A 10D image, sized to fit an 8x10 inch print will be abut 6.7x10 inches. This will leave wide borders on long side if printed without cropping.

The problem is conveying to the lab how you want it printed. By default, they will crop the length so that there are no borders on any side. If you are successful, plan to go through the same drill each time you have something printed in this way.

Another simple edit might help. Set the image size to exactly 10 inches on the long side, and set the canvas size to exactly 8 inches on the short side. You will have an 8x10 inch image with the borders built-in. Have it printed without cropping and see what happens.

The 10D sensor is a 2x3 format, so you can print full frame with virtually no cropping if you want a 4x6, 8x12, 12x18, 18x24, etc.. Any size in between requires cropping. To get a full frame on an 8x10 piece of paper's going to require a weird sized 6x10 or so print with white borders on the sides- same with an 11x14. Take it from someone who has cropped in-camera too close on both 2 1/4 square and 35mm negatives and not been able to print at 5x7 or 8x10 without clipping someone or something off because I didn't allow enough room on the sides. No Photoshop magic fixes that.

give the lab precise instructions on how to print. e.g. print full frame with minimum border width of x cms. If they can't follow simple instructions like that then go to a lab that can.

3:2 ratio frames fit well onto 16x12 paper (uk size, or at least it used to be) with 2 inch border giving 12x8 print size. For 10x8 you are in trouble because 3:2 ratio does not fit with sensible border ratios. i.e. one border will be too wide. 14x11 using 2,5in borders gives 9x6in which is correct ratio but bottom border should always a tad wider than top and sides to stop image looking as though it is bottom heavy(optical illusion/visual perception reasons). 1cm is enough additional extra border width at that size so 9x5.5in print size would do it which requires very little cropping.

18x24 = 2:3 ratio?