Printing poster 51.5cmx72.8cm from EOS30D

This is a very common topic in Digital Darkroom forum. And like what was answered, it all depends on the viewing distance whether you need to "Up Size" your original 8MP image file or not to print at 20x30 inches. However it's relatively routine to do so and unless you have a large format printer you obviously farm out these sorts of jobs.

As a proffesional custom and exhibiton lab owner who can't spell, I have some questions and advise. Question, is your file 8.2 megs or are you asking if your camera having a 8.2 meg chip is capable of an enlargement that size. I believe the camera produces a 27 meg file which is certainly good enough. If you have a 24" wide printer or larger and are doing it yourself and do not have a RIP program for it, then use a program as stated like Geniune Fractiles. If you are going to a pro lab there is no reason to res it up to size unless your are going to use a econo lab that specifies you do all the work. The RIP systems that pro labs use can res the image up directly to the printer and does a much better job then PS or the software mentioned. Just a note, a pro lab that will charge more then $22 for a 20x30 but will do much more work on the print, such as noise reduction, zonal changes, spoting if needed. Meaning they will work on it as opposed to just sending it to the printer. Take note that for best results shoot RAW and keep the file in 16 bit, 300 ppi at an un-interpolated size. The other thing I will say for the deep discounted print is make sure the output is at least 1440 DPI.