Printing on Canvas with Epson 9600 Ultrachrome printer?

I have a potential "fine art" type client that is leaning towards having me print reproductions of her

paintings on canvas. I see that Epson makes a canvas in rolls that I assume would work for this printer.

An Epson 9600 Ultrachrome. I am already digitizing her paintings with a Betterlight scanning back, so I

have plenty of image quality in my files.

Other than having a profile for the printer for the particular canvas I am going to use, are there any

other hints or tips to getting optimum results printing to canvas? I am using the Imageprint RIP for this

printer.

I assume the printers built-in automatic cutter would not "cut" canvas, and I would have to run it out

and cut it manually after printing? (I am talking about printing from rolls).

any hints, tips or advice would be appreciated. I think I could develop this side of my business.

McCluney Photo

Hi Gene, The folks over at Inkjetart.com sell canvas and support it. They're also an authorized Epson dealer, so they should have some experience and would probably answer most any question. I just searched for "canvas" there <a href="http://www.inkjetart.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?Terms=canvas&Match=1&Realm=All&sa.x=17&sa.y=10">and came up with this.</a>

Meanwhile you may want to check out <a href="http://www.portraitweavers.com/">these guys.</a> who claim to make photos into not only relatively small things like pillow cases and tote bags but even blankets and wall-sized tapestries from "ordinary photos".<P>

However... (and I haven't even looked closely at their site) what they <I>really</i> seem to be selling are franchises. The home page states: "Note To Consumers: PortraitWeavers products are only available through professional photographers. Please contact your local photographer or studio and ask about PortraitWeavers products!"<P>

Which may or may not be something you'd be interested in pursuing, but I thought you might want to know about. Good luck!

I have a 7800 and run ImagePrint using the Phatte system and produce a lot of canvas prints, mainly B&W portraits. The Epson Premier Art Water Resistant Canvas is a good product and has a little gloss. I have also used a LexJet Instand Dry Satin Canvas that has more of a matte finish with good results. LexJet also has a new canvas Sunset Select Matte Canvas that is supposed to be smoother and stretches better.

Agree with above posts to cut manually. Also, you should spray the canvas with a protectant such as PremierArt Print Shield.

With ImagePrint; it is as easy as loading the roll, and selecting the profile, no different than any paper. I do find that I make my canvas images a little lighter/brighter in Photoshop than I do for paper prints; it tends to print darker.

Good Luck,

Carter