PrintFile pages for 645 strips

dave_redmann

<p>Which PrintFile film preserver binder pages do you like for 645 film? I'd like to fit an entire roll of 120 in one page, but the 120-4B, which they say (http://www.printfile.com/120-negative-pages.aspx) will do it, I find is slightly too small. I'd have to trim each strip of four frames excessively to (barely) them into each horizontal compartment.* They also sell the 120-3HB, which they indicate will hold three strips of five frames each of 645, but given the 120-4B's inability to really handle what they say it will handle, I'm skeptical. Also, I'd rather strips of four frame instead of strips of five, even though my current camera only fits 15 / 30 frames onto 120 / 220. Suggestion? Thanks!</p>

<p>*In other words, if I just cut down the middle of the unexposed area between frames, strips of four are too long to fit, and I have to cut extra off the left and right sides of the strip. That is both less protective of the film and a nuisance.</p>

<p>I use the 120-3HB for 6x4.5 of 15 exposures and 6x6 12 exposures and both negative sizes fit very well. The only thing the 120-3HB does not work too well for me is the 6x7 as there are 10 exposures but the sheet will only hold 9; so I either waste a shot or tuck the extra negative in with the bottom row.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks all for your input. I guess I will try some 120-3HB's. It's kind of annoying that they don't make the 120-4B just a little longer, so that it could fit--<em>as they claim it will</em>--4 x 4 frames of 645. Over and above my preference for horizontal openings, even if the 120-3HB will fit 3 x 5 frames of 645, what do you do if your camera puts 16 frames on a roll of 120? (And then evidently PrintFile went and discontinued the WorkBox enclosed binders that I like. Grrr.) Oh well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's kind of annoying that they don't make the 120-4B just a little longer, so that it could fit--<em>as they claim it will</em>--4 x 4 frames of 645.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a bit surprising. I checked and my Clearfile ones have no problem fitting 4 strips of 4 frames of 645...but I use those 4-strip pages just for 6x9 and 6x6. The 4-strip pages are wide and protrude a bit from the open side of a normal A4 binder. For that reason, I prefer 3-strip pages for 645; the pages fit better in a standard binder.</p>

<p>FYI, I looked into Clearfile pages. First, they're white, which means you can hold them back to a light and examine the film. Second, there's no strip at the top for writing info (date etc.). Third, although the 25-pack (Mfr # 170025B) gets good reviews at B&H, oddly the 100-pack (Mfr # 170100B) gets very mixed reviews.</p>

<p>Upon further review, the best pages <em>would</em> be the PrintFile 120-4UB, which is designed to hold 4 horizontal strips each containing 3 frames of 6x7, and which would therefore readily accommodate 4 horizontal strips each containing 4 frames of 645--except that apparently these require the oversize binders, and I use the regular binders.</p>

<p>I went ahead and ordered the PrintFile 120-3HB (3 vertical strips each containing 5 frames of 645). Not ideal, but it seems the best option. Regardless, thanks for all your advice.</p>

<p>I use the PrintFile 4B sheets for the rolls from my Pentax 645N - have no problem with them fitting. I get 4 frames per strip and there's room at both ends of each row. I can do contact sheets with the roll in the sheet, too. I store the sheets in black plastic 3 ring boxes (I think Adorama has them) and they fit nicely.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>FYI, I looked into Clearfile pages. First, they're white, which means you can hold them back to a light and examine the film.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>All of mine are fully transparent; ideal for dropping onto a lightbox. So there must be both transparent and translucent (white-backed) types of Clearfile pages.</p>