Printer Calibration

<p>Lauren<br>

Most upscale paper manufacturers make profiles available for upscale printers. I am afraid you might not have much success to find profiles for your printer. So it comes down to custom profiles. You need a profile for every paper/ink/printer combination you use.</p>

<p>To make a custom profile requires a calibration device (spectrometer) such as the Gretag MacBeth Eye One Photo (about 1000$). It comes with the necessary software and it is very tedious work. One profile requires 288 readings.</p>

<p>There are many places that will make a custom profile for you. You print a file (exactly the way they tell you), mail the print to them and they email back a profile for you to use.</p>

<p>I have used this service <a href="http://www.inkjetart.com/custom_profiles/">http://www.inkjetart.com/custom_profiles/</a> and I am very satisfied. Cost is very reasonable 25$. They are not expensive because they use a (very expensive) spectrometer that reads all the points in one scan.</p>

<p>Good Luck<br>

Edmond</p>

<p> </p>

<p>One question here. Are you the type that print on 20 different papers?<br /> <br /> If so, consider getting a system for profiling your papers and printer inks.<br /> <br /> Something descent start at 1000$ and more. Forget Spyder 3 waist of money and precius time. I work with Spyder 2 and 3 for paper profile, bof! I got better result with Eye one system. But they are not the same price system.<br /> <br /> If you are a 3 to 5 different types of papers.<br /> <br /> Do like Edmond said. Have a pro make your profile. And save money.<br /> <br /> For now, i suggest that you stick to your printer with genius HP ink and HP papers and play with soft proof in Photoshop.<br /> <br /> There is nothing like a professional made paper profile.<br /> <br /> I did work with several cheap and non cheap papers profiler system. And sometime i use some companies profiles with papers from other companies and it works perfectly.</p>

<p>Happy printing.</p>

<p>The printer profiles that come with newer printer are actually pretty good. As long as you stick with the manufacturers papers and inks. Beyond that it's a free for all. So if yo want some exotic paper or need to get the best out of your printer you have to build a profile for each paper/printer/new ink set. Having said that i can only recommend the Eye1 Photo, the 2hundred plus patch is actually easy to ready with the supplied strip guide and the whole thing takes less than 10 minutes. The Eye1 is easy the best tool available and the center of any serious digital photography and will last you for a long time, for the cost of $1300 ( i guess). At what time you'll save money (or not) by having it done by a third party that's your estimate...<br>

best, MS</p>