Print restoration

dr._karl_hoppe

<p>I'm not certain if this is the right forum for posting, but here goes.</p>

<p>Does anyone know of a source for restoring damaged prints? I'm talking actual prints, nothing digital.</p>

<p>My niece has a favourite 20- x 24-inch enlargement from her wedding many years ago that was damaged in a cross-country move. The glass was broken and moisture has caused part of the print to adhere to the glass. She is looking for someone to ship the frame and print for restoration. Her wedding photog was a close friend who gave her as a wedding present all the negatives he shot, but unfortunately that negative is MIA, so she cannot simply have a reprint made.</p>

<p>She has an 8 x 10 in her album we can scan, but even at a high res I think 20 x 24 will look crummy, hence better to physically restore the existing print.</p>

I can probably do this if it's not too messed up, such as parts of the heads are missing. What I would do is

use Photoshop to fix the problems and save it to a disk.

However I have a very good scanner. I can also do a drum scan, which is pretty simple and making a 20X30 should be fine. So if you could send the 8X10 I'm sure your problems will be spared; unless the 8X10 print mounted to the album. If so I still can probably do this.

I've made poster size prints from just a small old polaroid instant print. A 3X5". Well anyway it can be done.

On this site I've seen some photographers do amazing work. Perhaps they will pop in.

savagesax@aol.com

<p>Let me check. I think we can slip the 8x10 out of the album. I'll see her in a few weeks and can examine the album myself. I believe the affected area is on the bottom periphery, not anywhere near the heads or torsos, but I'm going by memory here. But getting a high res scan will obviate physical restoration.</p>

<p>You shouldn't worry too much about scanning from an 8x10 so long as the scanner being used is of high enough resolution. An alternative is to mount the 20x24 to a wall and light it properly so that there is no sheen on it, then take a high resolution RAW photograph of the print with a full frame camera at ISO 100. That will give you something good to work with in Photoshop, which can then be sent to a reputable printer to reproduce.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"The glass was broken and moisture has caused part of the print to adhere to the glass. She is looking for someone to <strong><em>ship the frame and print for restoration</em></strong>. . . hence <strong><em>better to physically restore the existing print</em></strong>."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Considering restoring (i.e. working on) that <strong><em>original print -</em></strong> I think you'll have difficulty finding a Print Photofinisher / Re-toucher who is still in business or even finding someone who has the necessary equipment for the job. For example, I still have the a lot of gear which we kept from our first Studio - but I haven't picked up a brush or blower in at least 20 years - and I reckon my skills would be very rusty.</p>

<p>I concur that scanning the 10 x 8 and/or (parts of) the 20x24 and then <em><strong>working digitally</strong> </em>is the best option for your niece.</p>

<p>WW</p>