print prices

robert x

No response in the business section, so I thought I'd try it here.......any replies would be appreciated.

I am slowly building up a portfolio of portraits and one of my subjects has said he wants to buy two extra

prints for his children. He has expressly said he wants to pay my 'full professional rate", but in the UK I

would sell a picture for about GBP100 and I think to ask US$200 would be over the top.

The subject is a close colleague of my sister in the states and I don't want to ask a price that would shock,

but enough that it isn't giving them away so he will feel happy that I am not underselling myself. I

understand that photography is well valued in USA but am a bit lost as to what to ask.

I was thinking US$ 50 per print - but some people are advising me to double that.

Any thoughts ?

RX

Anything under a 100 is silly. In the US, photography is king. If you ask for less you're discounting your professionalism. Also, he stated full professional rate. If you sell for 200 USD, than sell him 2for 250USD, and tell him you're giving him a discount for buying 2. He'll love that. Plus, he's in the UK, expecting things to be more expensive.