prime lens for group shot

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by arthur_bunda|1, Mar 20, 2004.

1. what is the best prime lens for whole body group shot in the church.
    i need advice on this lenses: 35mm or 50mm?

2. I think either will do nicely depending upon the space you have available to ya. Both are fairly cheap and small so having both handy shouldn't be much of a hassle.

3. If you have the flashpower to get a f5.6 or better, you should use 50mm. You will find
    that you will have more even coverage of your flash across the group. However, in a
    church, you have those pews, and there is a wish to not see them! So, its back to the
    35mm slightly wide to eliminate this problem.

4. I suggest the 35/1.4, It requires you to get close to fill the frame, and it kind of gives an enlarged, in your face perspective which a lot of people like. And it is wide enough to let you get away with shots in close quarters.

5. Referring to quote above: "and it kind of gives an enlarged, in your face perspective..."

This is the worst reason to chose a wide angle lens at a wedding. While it is a common
    fad in criminal personality, hip-hop arrogant displays of "Its All About Me", you don't want
    to transfer this look to a wedding!
    <p>
    There is a line between the arrogant, look up my nose look, and simply being close to
    show a "personal perspective".
    <p>
    A 35mm lens, on the other hand, is not very distortion prone unless you use it to make the
    above distorted look. I use 35mm all the time.
    <p>
    Because of the pews being close to the stairs, you will likely settle on the 35mm lens.