pricing royalty free images

owen_dawson

Hello,

I have an opportunity to sell 6-images to a popular "Inn" in Vermont and they want to have unlimited usage of images.

I really have no idea of what a good starting price might be per image or for the group of 6. If anyone has experience with this type of sale, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks

Owen

I'd ask what their budget is, then decide if you can afford to sell them at that price. Give them broad rights for an unlimited period in all media, but do not give them the copyright and reserve the right to use the images for your own promotion. Pricing guideline sites will give you very high prices that a small business simply will not be able to afford. Make it a win-win for both of you.

I'm just an amateur and I have no experience with selling any photos to anyone. FWIW, it think it depends on whether the Inn is buying photos that you've already shot (stock) or whether they're commissioning you for 6 new photos

If stock, the 'uniqueness/quality' of your photos compared to the prices of similar stock photos is a price factor, as is the Inn's wish (and budget) to have unique/quality photos. You could turn [uSER=1663629]@Charles_Webster[/uSER]'s suggestion around and think about what the photos/rights are worth to you. How much do you want/need to make on these photos?

If it's a commission, I assume you have a minimum price to cover direct costs. Start with you normal price (direct+ indirect costs + profit + pension, etc.) + a percentage and negotiate from there.

There's a lot of stuff on the web on price negotiation models and strategies. I don't think that photos are a special commodity.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Mike

First your title is wrong, that may be a term stock agency use, but allow me to clarify you are licensing the images so the Inn can use the images in "any" of their marketing material in perpetuity? the difference is wether the Inn can turn around and sell the images or share the images with other parties. the other aspect is gauging costs if you go to Getty and look for RF stock images of course they are going to be low, if however you look for RM images and then plug in hospitality and 5year marketing you can get an idea of worth.

Second I highly recommend the book: https://www.amazon.com/Licensing-Photography-Victor-Perlman/dp/1581154364

A couple of things you need to clarify with the client, is this in perpetuity or do they need unlimited use for say seven years? Do they want exclusive use to the images so you can not license them to another organization?

I don't know your Inn or what corporation is behind it, if they are asking for unlimited use good chance they've been down this road, have a lawyer, know what images cost, have a reason why they need unlimited use (because they don't want to tell you they're purchasing multiple ad space for a campaign that would raise the licensing costs, etc.. they may play dumb but in all honesty a Vermont Inn could very well have financial backing of a NYC corporation.

With my own experience unlimited use non exclusive I have always asked for over $6,000. The funny thing is whenever someone asks, they play astonished and tell me they will have to get back to me, then they agree. And it always turns out their legal department required it and knew the cost of licensing (from professionals) along with a budget to buy ad space. Don't be afraid to ask for a fair price and stand firm, if you see your picture in an ad in a national magazine or an ad campaign around NYC for a hospitality vacation get-away you are not going to be proud but bummed if you didn't negotiate for a fair price.

Edited by 2d

--------------

My Architectual Photography:

Architectural-Cinematographer.com