Pricing question

Doug Obert

<p>Quick back ground: A year ago I was approached by a company that was putting together a brochure and wanted to use one of my photographs. We struck a deal and everything is good. <br>

Now they want to use it for some in store displays (5 to 15 stores) size is 30X40 cm. Yes they are European I think that's about 12X16 inches approximately. They "might" also want to use it for in their booth at trade shows/fairs. For the life of me I can't find any info on how to price this. I'm pretty good at searching but I'm lost on this one! Can anyone help me?</p>

<p>No, don't sell the copyright, there's absolutely no need to. Unless they offer you a lot more than $1k for it. License specific usage rights and reserve all other rights. You'd like to be able to charge them again when they come back and say they need to print 2 million new brochures right?<br /> <br /> Which country are they in? It makes a big difference if they're in, say, Turkey or, say, the UK. If we're talking western Europe the pricing would be fairly similar to the going rates in the US.<br /> <br /> One thing you can do to get a pretty good idea of the going rates is to register at an agency like Alamy, Getty, Corbis etc and see how they would price similar usage in whatever country your client is in.</p>

<p>where is the photo? ie: why not show it to us? why not just ask them what they are willing to pay? is it something only they would be interested in? can anyone else easily reproduce this shot? would anyone else want to buy it? would you care if you sold them the exclusive rights? </p>

<p>way too many questions (in my mind) to make an informed decision. what are the chances down the road they could turn around and resell it and you would be remorseful? if no chance then just sell it to them for as much as they will pay.</p>

<p>NEVER sell the copyright. If you don't want to be bothered licensing individual usages, license them non-exclusive rights in all media. Withhold the right to use the images for your own promotion, and withhold the right to resell the images. They might be worth something as stock someplace down the line.<br>

The FotoQuote Pro can give you some ideas of what the individual usages should be worth.<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

<p>Thanks to all that have responded so far. I guess I wasn't specific enough. I understand all the rights issues, I have sold to magazines in the past and this customer did purchase the right to use it one time in their brochure. Now they want to know what I want for it's usage in this application. I was hoping to find a formula if you will, like used in the magazines (subscription size and where it's used in the magazine) to base my price on. <br>

Chas, Thanks I've never heard of them I will go check it out!<br>

L.J. The photo is in my portfolio here on photo net ...Winter section and is titled "Mount Hood Skiing" (lower right hand corner)</p>