Pricing for image use for theatre chain...

I've been contacted by the Director of Marketing of a theatre chain for the possible use of my already completed touched up high resolution color images (shot a number of years ago) for their theatre. They have seven locations (in different states) and the use could incorporate one or all of the following...Web, Flyers, Postcards and Banners. The images may be used at only one location or all seven.

There's one site that suggests "Per Image = $250, or Per Use $250 per license use on image, but I don't know if that price would be correct in this situation. In this particular case; I would not mind one price (Per Image) for unlimited use for a certain period of time anywhere from three to five years.

At this point there has been no talk about price. Even so; it was communicated (via email) I would be compensated, (and told via phone they really don't have a budget for this, and I've also been told by the same person they will see what they can do.) I said I would get back with them about the cost.

I'm posting this to ask for suggestions on what kind of price range would be reasonable.

Thank you...

Sounds to me like they are fishing. They may or may not have 'a budget for this'. I’d treat that comment with a grain of salt.

I have a had a few approaches like this and I tend to take a simplistic attitude: my view is the (my) files/negs have been hanging around gathering dust for several years and now some wants Usage Rights. . .

Unless the image(s) contain extremely valuable content which cannot be re-shot, for example - dead person, building now destroyed, etc, I respond quickly with my ‘Standard Usage Rights Invoice’ (valid for 30 days).

With what would you be content? If the images were ‘stock standard’ – (and remember recognizing they’ve been sitting and making no money at all for years), I’d be happy with (US$) 250~400 per image for, "all usage for three years and by-line credit".

The main point is to respond quickly, as if this is just another request, like the many that you get each week. You’re busy. Don’t be greedy. Avoid a ‘negotiation’. If they really want the images and have the money, and you’re not greedy they’ll respond and pay quickly, too.

WW

Hi William,

I really like your approach to my question. The company I'm talking about own some drive-in theatres. Over the years I have shot their Scottsdale location several times (which does not exist anymore,) and they're looking for imagery of their Glendale location (something they, and I don't have much of.)

Based on the imagery they're looking for, and what I've done for them in the past; I have told them it would take me a few months to properly capture the right images during their special events, and take me even longer to fully finish the images. Because of the time involved and the cost of all the work involved to do this properly; I'm sure they're not going to pay what ever that adds up to. So I offered the fully finished images I've already shot years ago that could be used at any of their locations rather quickly if they wanted.

Your advise of $250 per image is what I'll offer for three years.

Do you have a suggestion what type of cloud service or template to use for a "Standard Usage Rights Invoice?"

I also like the idea of avoiding a negotiation, so I'll send them the Standard Usage Rights Invoice and make it valid for 30 days. And no worries about not being greedy; I've already spent a few grand on this years ago, and I'm not doing freebies anymore! If they don't want pay what ever the going rate is; that is perfectly fine with me.

In case your curious, those color images have been on my website for years.
(Make sure flash is turned on!) Yea I know; it's not really being supported anymore and I really need to update my site. Once there click on "Fun at the Drive-in," or you can see then on your smartphone without having to worry about flash.

In any case; thank you very much for your help!

Sounds to me like they are fishing. They may or may not have 'a budget for this'. I’d treat that comment with a grain of salt.

I have a had a few approaches like this and I tend to take a simplistic attitude: my view is the (my) files/negs have been hanging around gathering dust for several years and now some wants Usage Rights. . .

Unless the image(s) contain extremely valuable content which cannot be re-shot, for example - dead person, building now destroyed, etc, I respond quickly with my ‘Standard Usage Rights Invoice’ (valid for 30 days).

With what would you be content? If the images were ‘stock standard’ – (and remember recognizing they’ve been sitting and making no money at all for years), I’d be happy with (US$) 250~400 per image for, "all usage for three years and by-line credit".

The main point is to respond quickly, as if this is just another request, like the many that you get each week. You’re busy. Don’t be greedy. Avoid a ‘negotiation’. If they really want the images and have the money, and you’re not greedy they’ll respond and pay quickly, too.

WW

Scottsdale and Glendale - assume Arizona (not Scottsdale Tasmania).

I had a detailed squiz at your website. Certainly the images in "Fun at the Drive In" captured 'fun'.

BTW I liked the Bugatti better than the Merc; and the Kill Bill inspired images were examples of good Portraiture with message.

Anyway …

I am not keen on using nor recommending internet based "Templates" for any contracts. Though, if you are in the USA, then many 'templates' will be USA suitable and tailored. Why I am not keen on using them, is that because most are USA suitable and tailored and do not necessarily the cover requirements, (for one example) AUS.

If you show due diligence, you'll find something simply worded yet comprehensive. Your (USA) Professional Associations would have templates I expect.

The major points my Usage Rights Contracts Cover, are:

> itemize the Image(s) (i.e. a descriptive list detailing each image)

> list individual usage type(s) and time limit(s) (e.g. "to be used in 50,000 brochures only, for distribution only for 15 months from date of invoice" - "unlimited use by primary signatory only, for five years from date of contract")

> specify Usage Rights NOT transferable to a third party

> specify Usage Rights NOT granted until account is complete (i.e. paid in full - cheque cleared, etc)

> specify that transfer of Usage Rights does NOT constitute transfer of Copyright.

There are some other details which are specific to my situation and location - for example references to Goods and Services Tax (GST) and the Client quoting their ABN (Australian Business Number), etc.

There may be (probably are) phrases that you need to include apropos your Federal and/or State Laws, and maybe your Tax Laws also.

IME, Usage Rights Contracts have never been that much of a brain-strain for me and this situation appears to be quite simple for you: it appears to me that so long as you’ve got the money in your bank account you’ll be happy for them to use your images as they like. Additionally it occurs to me that you are in the driving seat for this 'negotiation', short though it be, because you have the goodies that they appear to want and you are prepared to walk away with said goodies.

Good luck.

WW

Thank you William,

Yes, that is Arizona. Glad you liked the Bugatti...I'll tell you that was one heck of a ride!

I really liked your advise to respond quickly, unfortunately I couldn't sit down and draw up the Usage Rights till tonight. Oh well; In the future I'll be sure to respond right away to what ever request I might get. At least I'll be following through.

Thanks again for all your help!

• Like 1