Pricing a CD only wedding

simon_cook

Hello everyone

I got a customer who wants a CD only wedding.

They want me there for pre wedding activites onto the church, massive

shopping list of shots, speaches and first dance. In all 300-500 images on CD

Usually I would charge ?1695 ($2900) with an album containing 60 images

up to 10x10.

What do you think I should charge for this with just all the images placed on

CD for the clients (I shoot digital).

Thanks for your time.

Subtract the cost of the album (cost of gooods) from the price and charge that.

I charge for my time and albums are extra.

Most of your pricing structure should be based on your skill and time, so the finished product (be it CD or proof book etc.) is not of huge consequence.

We charge $300 per hour for our creative services (2 photographers) and one of our

delivery options is the digital files (we guarantee 100 per hour of shooting) on disc for

$1.00 each. We do not allow cherry-picking. You just get all files we proof per hour. So 2

hours shooting = min. of 200 files = $200, 7 hours shooting = min. of 700 files = $700,

and so on.

Take a look: http://www.SaintPhallePhoto.com/pricing.html

I would delete any bad shots or duplicates(insurance shots). I would also ask them what they want to do with the pix. If they want to do their own printing, OK. Keep the copyright, giving them a license to print.

If they just want to look at them on a monitor, you might tell them they will be getting 3000x2000(or whatever) pixel files, and maybe you should reduce them. If they are computer saavy, they may want to handle all that on their own. Also, ask them if they want RAW or JPEG, and explain the difference. The answer could affect how you shoot. Be sure all of this is reflected in your contract. Including how much extra when they want you to stay longer.

I would charge the same amount and give them a wedding album that contains the CDs. You can include promotional material about you in the album or on the CDs, or imprinted on the wedding album. Somebody must make CD-only wedding albums. If not, a bookbinder can make on for you.

If they(or you) want a lot of file manipulation that takes more time than you normally spend on a wedding, maybe bump it up. After all, you are able to fix up some shots when you print them. Expect to to do some or a lot of digital retouching on this one. Otherwise, you are selling a wedding kit(Hey B&G, sit in front of a monitor for a while and tone down that dress, eliminate the yellow cast from the dress(those tungsten lights in the no-flash chapel, again), remove the pole growing out of the groom's head, crop out the drunk relative from the side of the otherwise sweet shot of the bride and her grandmother. Yes, you too can be a wedding photographer's fix-it person!) If you are always able to print straight, with no manipulation, this would not apply, and shooters would pay to know your secrets. I think the sale of a wedding kit is not a good idea. Just because it is CD only, does not mean each and every shot should not be of professional quality.

If you count on reorder income normally, maybe adjust for that.

Because you may be giving them everything, it would be good to keep a copy for your files. They may want print orders, anyway. I know this goes without saying.

You will be giving them archival CDs, with professional labels right? You know, "Simon Cook presents a photographic celebration of the marriage of A and B, blah, blah, blah." OK, that's the end, Simon.

Bill

To help the 'couple' save money (from buying your prints) __ charge them the regular price, plus the normal price for a estimated quantity of prints <which they will be making from the CD, if you give them one.>

There is no need to give your work away__if the bride wants a list of images and expects you to work, you should expect to be paid.